Nvidia, Epic Bring Unreal Engine 3 to Windows RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
DirectX implementation. Previously the Unreal Engine running on ARM CPUs had a reduced toolset and required editing code to eliminate calls to unavailable functions.

Unreal on Windows RT has the full PC implementation, DirectX and all. I would think it would be way faster to port games over to tablets since there will be less code tweaking.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
So basically tablets are now able to give console equivalent graphics and performance. We can try to excuse this because of the long life span of the current console gen but certainly the constant hardware advancements and constant release of new tablets play a large role too.

With the recent trend of handhelds suffering due to tablet, I am going to go a step further and say that tablets will someday be a threat to consoles. Consoles will have the graphical advantages at first but with the quicker evolving tablets the gap would just close and by the time the new consoles come out the tablets will be superior.

Imagine a tablet that simple docks and keeps a constant charge and streams to your TV in full HD quality, with bluetooth controllers for gaming. Everyone from the casual to the hardcore gamer could be satisfied. If Android or Windows based (although unlikely Windows as this would be a direct competitor to Microsoft's consoles) completely open to developers with no content control or large fees and profit %'s like the consoles have. Also with the luxury of being a tablet it is portable and
and can do anything from work to play.

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Must be a hoax. Everybody has been saying how developers were going to abandon Windows 8 because of how difficult it's going to make things for them, and the internet always knows best.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I don't think MS would really care if WinRT tablets competed with XBox since they don't really make much money off the hardware. The XBox team could still continue to develop the XBox live software and ecosystem but you would just be throwing it on a tablet instead. It would be cool to be able to just plug in (or wireless even better) an external dvd player to run your games.

Now port UE4 and get me 100 fps then I'll be impressed :)

G

Bah, gonna fill 5 yrs up with GW2, so no time for Mobile gaming for me on RT!

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
95%+ doesn't know what UE3 is, or DX9, so why would they not take advantage of it? Mobile gaming has never really been about grapics, so this actually makes sense from a financial, and convenience standpoint.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Despite all this capability, I bet they still will not allow you to play your tablet games on PC.[/citation]That's up to the developers. If the specific developer of a specific title releases it for both, you can play it on both. If they don't, well complain to them.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If it doesn't have at least a 23 inch screen, I'm not interested in doing any real gaming on it. Tablets have their place, xboc 360 and playstation has their place. But I don't see people doing any serious gaming on a tablet for any length of time. Good for on the go, but at home give me a PC.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... this is the same infiniti blade demo, that was presented when iPhone 4 was presented...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_rR8ZEQztM... so what's new?[/citation]
What's new is that, this is on Win 8 and Win RT. Not iOS/Android. That, strictly speaking, is what's new.

The implications are reduced porting times, and an OS that big time devs are more familiar with.

(Also, Win8/RT>=Android>iOS #troll :p)

A lot of MS' success with Windows has to do with the fact that it's been the most developed-for gaming platform out there. Probably their strategy with win 8/RT will be the same.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
With regards to porting titles, I hope it is done properly as not to reduce the quality of PC games; develop it for PC first, then port down to tablets.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jackt[/nom]Why WinRT need a porting ? Isnt RT supposed to run windows applications ?[/citation]
Nope. RT will be for ARM based SoCs, not x86 based ones. Win 8 and Win 8 Pro tablets are the one's you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.