[SOLVED] NVIDIA Event ID 14

Apr 22, 2022
I have been having issues with monitor either completely freezing or losing signal, and in both cases I have to forcefully shut it down. I checked event viewer and the error is always event id 14 and the nvlddmkm file. I have been digging around the Internet and found several thread about this, but most are about bsod and not losing signal.

In the short window I have been able to get into windows, I looked around system 32 and the drivers folder for the nvlddmkm.sys file but I just did not have one. Either I am looking in the wrong place or it is missing. Appreciate any help I can get because this is really annoying.

Solution
I'd give "Prefer Maximum Performance" a try before messing with the boost clock; if the problem "goes away" then you likely have a PSU that isn't able to respond fast enough when the GPU ramps up (I've heard people who claim the 3000 series is very aggressive on this front). If nothing else, it's a simple thing to give a try.
Is there anything in particular you are doing that is causing the issue? I ran into a very similar problem with my 3080 Ti on a Corsair 750W PSU; problem was the card was sometimes locking up when it transitioned to boost frequencies. I "got around" that problem by setting the card to always run at it's boost clock via the NVIDIA Control Panel (Prefer Maximum Performance); you might be having a similar issue.

Apr 22, 2022
Is there anything in particular you are doing that is causing the issue? I ran into a very similar problem with my 3080 Ti on a Corsair 750W PSU; problem was the card was sometimes locking up when it transitioned to boost frequencies. I "got around" that problem by setting the card to always run at it's boost clock via the NVIDIA Control Panel (Prefer Maximum Performance); you might be having a similar issue.
I think it might be psu problem. I went to a friend's house and there were no problems with my GPU running thru his setup. Then again, there are many other parts that could be the problem, but I always have prefer max performance on. Maybe I also need to set the boost clock in precision x1 for it to not lock up.

I'd give "Prefer Maximum Performance" a try before messing with the boost clock; if the problem "goes away" then you likely have a PSU that isn't able to respond fast enough when the GPU ramps up (I've heard people who claim the 3000 series is very aggressive on this front). If nothing else, it's a simple thing to give a try.

Solution