Nvidia Exits Smartphone Business, CEO Doubles Down On PC, TV, Cloud Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I'd like to see nVidia branch out, always good to have a few lines of business to avoid a downturn.

Also just wanted to add that traditional chip makers like Intel, AMD and nVidia are struggling in the phone business because they do high value chips while chips in cellphones are a commodity product that are if i understand correctly are sold by the pound and not unit. To be in mobile you need to price as low as you can go.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Seems smart to stop going into the smartphone business. With snapdragon and Intel Atom already starting to dominate the arena.

You mean "with Snapdragon and other ARM makers dominating the arena".

Intel has a long way to go before justifying your statement. Heck, Mediatek alone has almost twice Intel's marketshare and growing at least as fast if not faster, never mind Skyworks, Samsung, and other which are difficult for even Qualcomm to compete with.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Seems smart to stop going into the smartphone business. With snapdragon and Intel Atom already starting to dominate the arena.

Intel has a long way to go before justifying your statement. Heck, Mediatek alone has almost twice Intel's marketshare and growing at least as fast if not faster, never mind Skyworks, Samsung, and other which are difficult for even Qualcomm to compete with.

nah intel's Atom line has seen 400% growth over the past 2 years. They have at least 15 design wins. Look at all the new midrange asus phones, x86 tablets. etc...

Windows phone is about to expload once windows 10 rolls out. When those new smartphones hit the market, we'll see the paradigm shift heavily.

People will be carrying a full desktop pc in their pockets. and mini HDMI ports on phones will become the norm for WP.

can't wait to run command prompt on my phone. so much hacking, so much other tools i wont have to carry. wont even need a laptop anymore.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Dude i believe Windows comes on like 3% of all phones sold and it is already a maturing market that is dominated by Android and Apple. If you are not in it now you will not be able to enter it.

tslot05qsljgo9ed

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I think what he meant to say is to push forward with project overkill, meaning sabotage of AMD drivers via Gamework.

AMD drives are always C R A P when new games are released and they take several iterations to become even playable.

But go ahead and hide behind your mistaken belief that all of AMDs problems are because of Nvidia. You have already been proven wrong (it is bad AMD drivers) but I am sure your echo-chamber Raging Red Rooster club nod their collective heads that AMD could never ever be at fault it must all be the evil Nvidia's doing.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

nah intel's Atom line has seen 400% growth over the past 2 years. They have at least 15 design wins. Look at all the new midrange asus phones, x86 tablets. etc...

Windows phone is about to expload once windows 10 rolls out. When those new smartphones hit the market, we'll see the paradigm shift heavily.

People will be carrying a full desktop pc in their pockets. and mini HDMI ports on phones will become the norm for WP.

can't wait to run command prompt on my phone. so much hacking, so much other tools i wont have to carry. wont even need a laptop anymore.

But Intel has confessed they've been selling the atoms with an incredibly small profit margin and maybe even at a loss in their attempt to penetrate the smart phone market where as ARM is still holding its dominance with pretty large profits. And ARM has been keeping pace with Intel offerings at much larger manufacturing nodes but will even be losing that handicap against Intel as Samsung and TSMC have been rapidly shrinking the gap in foundry technology. On an even node playing field ARM will be taking more energy/perf wins and make even larger profits thanks to higher yields on smaller nodes.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
The funniest part of his comment I find is
Maxwell was Nvidia's first architecture designed for mobile first, but with the ability to scale up

AMD once designed GPUs to be mid range first so they could be easier to scale up and down starting with the HD4800s.......now they've gone Full Thermi with their R9 290s and potentially Fijis..........makes me want to cry for the red team...

Status
Not open for further replies.