Nvidia Explains Why Shield is Delayed Until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
If it had the ability to use my PC and stream it anywhere I'm at, like say my relatives house it would be nice, but for use around my house only... Meh. That idea is dead.

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Why should anyone buy the Shield? Here's a list of features and what actually interests me:

1. Plays Android games - MEH
2. Plays Steam games - OK, I'm listening
2a. When streaming from your PC - Damn, OK I think I can make that work
2b. Requires a GTX 650 or higher - I qualify, but you just isolated a huge portion of possible buyers. Go on...
2c. Supported games are limited. List of supported games not available yet - You're losing me here...
2d. Requires you to be on the same wireless network as your PC. - Fail. Why would I want a portable device if I can't leave my house with said device?

Edit: Fixed GTX requirement. Thanks Ipwn3r456

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

For 2b, it's actually GTX 650 or higher, so that includes a few more people from the community.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

1. Why meh to android games. I can give you a fairly good list of excellent games if desired. Games like Hawken are coming also. Not bad to look at that...Android games are already as good as Vita or 3DS. No real difference there. Hawken shows xbox360/ps3 types are just around the corner and there are many that look like these old gens already IMHO. It's a portable device because you CAN LEAVE the house...ROFL. You're confusing me.

2b. 65% of us buy NV hardware each year and a 650 is $110 or so at newegg etc. I'd say encompassing $110 up to Titan etc multi cards etc is a pretty wide range. If it required a 770+ then you'd be correct. But a 650 is low end.

2d. No, only if you want to stream your PC's gpu. It's a portable android game player and movie player (heck good browser too) out of the house (any MKV, avi etc etc, out to any HDMI tv in a hotel etc etc). I guess you think Vita/3DS owners are nuts too? I don't like wearing out my hands on a flat uncomfortable vita/3ds but an xbox like gamepad I can actually grip correctly I could play on for a bit.

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
It's hard to make decisions like this because it will piss the ones that want it asap but this decision is for the best to fix any issues before release.

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
fail from the conception..
Ps4/xbox one would be better when at home and when on the move, enjoy the surroundings and dont delve into a 5 inch.

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
fail from the conception..
Ps4/xbox one would be better when at home and when on the move, enjoy the surroundings and dont delve into a 5 inch.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
It's good that Shield is an Android device. There is going to be an absolute shitstorm raining down on OUYA headquarters once the millions of their customers realise that OUYA is not an Android device but an Android based device. That means the software they buy will not be cross compatible; just easier for developers to port between Android and OUYA platforms; they will have to buy software twice and saves will probably not be transferable.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

So I guess Vita/3DS are fail also to you? And all previous handhelds?

I'm confused. How do I play/browse/email etc on my xbox from a doctors office in the waiting room? Or on the bus to work etc etc? ...I don't ride a bus but you get the point. On the move a ps4/xbox1 (or any console requiring a TV) is useless. On a train, on the plane blah blah. Useless without a handheld, you'll be staring at your xbox1/ps4 (any console) not using it in all of these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.