Nvidia features on AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Hello,
I have recently seen the Watch Dogs Nvidia tech demo video with a load of graphical features and I was wondering if the features are exclusive to only Nvidia cards or exclusive to the whole PC platform? I am asking this because I have an AMD 7950 and was considering pre purchasing the game and I would like to know some more about it.

Thanks

NVIDIA technology is exclusively nvidia. But AND has mantle. It does add some new features to spice up the graphics but... It's mostly a performance enhancer. Watch dogs looks like a interesting game. I am kinda excited to play Watch Dogs.

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

Okay thanks, I'm just hoping that it will still look good on pc without the Nvidia features.

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

Ah right, I hate how GPU companies buy out games...

well it happens all the time. btw what happen to AMD Never Settle Bundle consisting the latest triple A games?

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

Yeah I guess but the never settle bundle is just including games whereas the nvidia stuff is restricting what AMD users can have in the game. But yeah both AMD and Nvidia do it

How is nVidia restricting what AMD users can have in the game? They get the stock DirectX feature set, exactly what is expected of the game. NVidia is working with the devs to help them use the special nVidia features which really don't add a ton in most games, and are only truely used in a few select sections to show off for marketing.

HBAO+ can be run on either NVidia or AMD if the developer has implemented it as an option in the game settings (just like FXAA). It does, however, deliver a disproportionate impact on AMD cards. On games where the developer has not implemented it, Nvidia cards can force HBAO+ through the NV Control Panel.

TXAA on Watch Dogs will be an Nvidia only feature.

And therein lies the big difference between Nvidia and AMD. Nvidia has a robust set of technologies, usually exclusive to their cards, while AMD has Mantle for two games. And even then, Mantle's performance advantage was eclipsed by the recent Nvidia performance driver making it even less of a selling point.
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/geforce_337_50_beta_sli_performance_benchmarks.html

Status
Not open for further replies.