Nvidia Fermi Delayed AGAIN!

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Quality > Early. Ma'b they had some unforseen problems. Or ma'b they saw Bad Company 2 coming out in March and thought "Hey, that's close enough and the extra time would be nice to work on the drivers or tweak the Arch. Lets release at the same time as a major DX11 big hit"

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
And this really suprises anyone? Intel did the right move by cancelling Larabunk, but Nvidia can't since every egg they have is in the Fermi basket.
Nvidia plans to launch a 40nm GDDR5 memory-based Fermi-GF100 GPU in March, and will launch a GF104 version in the second quarter to target the high-end market with its GeForce GTX295/285/275/260, the sources pointed out.
At this rate, they will be lucky to have a 3 month lead time before the 6xxx series.

I wouldn't be suprised if its not out till june/july.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

A lead time is only useful if you have a superior part!!

Fermi is going to be somewhat equal to a 5870, and quite inferior to a 5970...

Fkscott17

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I was waiting for Fermi, but the other day I broke and ordered a 5850. Sorry Nvidia, too little too late. I wanted to upgrade now.

Neeseius

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I smell another 5700 Ultra coming. Overhyped to steal sales from ATi, beautiful on paper and underdelivering on performance, and a whole lot of heat.

Well, considering TSMC's lack of production, this probably isn't a bad thing; TSMC's having a hard enough time with supplying ATI...

Also, due to the lack of DX11 titles at present, theres really no rush on NVIDIA's part. I still also have major questions on weather the 5000 series is powerful enough for major use of tesselation, especially after seeing those Dirt2 DX11 benchmarks...

Neeseius

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I personally think that techniques to improve performance when implementing tessellation will begin to surface soon. As the first game to use it, Dirt 2 retains a very playable 40+ FPS on 5800 series cards at 1,920 x 1,200, 4x AA Ultra Settings. That aside, Dirt 2 is a bad example of the performance of using tessellation. Tessellation can reduce the amount of triangles used to make models since they are ultimately subdivided. Additionally, developers can get away with less textures when using tessellation, since they no longer need to try to mimick protruding surfaces. Better use of LODs, shader optimization, and the list goes on. Since Dirt 2 was first designed to be dx9 compliant, none of these advantages were realized. Simply, the quicker Nvidia jumps on board the sooner games fully utilizing dx11 will come out.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

At least ATI has a hardware tessellation engine, as opposed to nVidia's software engine.
Dirt 2 was poorly optimized.