[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce 1070 overheating in Chrome?!

retroborg

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Good day,
I have the following setup:
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core 2 @9500 Quad 2.83GHZ
8GB
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X
Driver 441.87

Whenever I'm using Chrome Browser and then run MSI Afterburner, I noticed that that the GPU & Memory frequency and temperature are quite high as if I'm playing some game!
GPU Clock: 1582MHZ
Memory Clock: 4006MHZ
Temperature: 59C

If I close Chrome, they drop down to normal idle settings.
GPU Clock: 139MHZ
Memory Clock: 405MHZ
Temperature: 46C

This does not happen when I use Firefox or TOR and remains idle.

So is there something wrong here and what can I do?! It doesn't seem right going so high by just running Chorme?!
Perhaps I have caught some malware, virus that uses my GPUs resources to mine crypto currency & bit coins?!

Any info would be highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
The chips on that card should be rated to at least 85 Celsius before throttling. Chrome is able to use gpu acceleration so nothing you are seeing there should be out of the norm. That card is being pretty heavily bottlenecked by that cpu so that could be why it is holding clocks longer too.

jasonf2

Distinguished
The chips on that card should be rated to at least 85 Celsius before throttling. Chrome is able to use gpu acceleration so nothing you are seeing there should be out of the norm. That card is being pretty heavily bottlenecked by that cpu so that could be why it is holding clocks longer too.

Solution

retroborg

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

OK, I just disabled hardware acceleration in the Chrome Advanced settings and now the GPU, Mem & Temp remain low same as in Firefox. So is that Hardware acceleration in Chrome even needed and where does it benefit overall? It seems to stress the card a lot when it's on!

There is also another setting "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" which I also disabled but it doesn't seem to affect the GPU either way. I don't even know what's the point of having this enabled when you're not running Chrome?!

Good day,
I have the following setup:
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core 2 @9500 Quad 2.83GHZ
8GB
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X
Driver 441.87

Whenever I'm using Chrome Browser and then run MSI Afterburner, I noticed that that the GPU & Memory frequency and temperature are quite high as if I'm playing some game!
GPU Clock: 1582MHZ
Memory Clock: 4006MHZ
Temperature: 59C

If I close Chrome, they drop down to normal idle settings.
GPU Clock: 139MHZ
Memory Clock: 405MHZ
Temperature: 46C

This does not happen when I use Firefox or TOR and remains idle.

So is there something wrong here and what can I do?! It doesn't seem right going so high by just running Chorme?!
Perhaps I have caught some malware, virus that uses my GPUs resources to mine crypto currency & bit coins?!

Any info would be highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
59 C isn't quite high for a graphics card. It is nothing to worry about.