NVidia Geforce 660 ti vs AMD Radeon 7950?

Haza

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
These too cards are pretty close but I can't decide which one. The price is similar, so pretend money is no object. I will be using them for games including Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft, Portal 2 and Battlefield 4 in the future, all on high/ultra settings. I don't think I'll ever need to do any video editing with them, just gaming. My CPU is AMD FX 8350 Black Edition. I may get a second card in the future.

no real difference between 7950 and 660ti, they trade blows depending on game. If you planned on going dual card later on I suggest the NVidia card as their dual card technology offers smoother gameplay and less stuttering than AMD currently. AMD are working on drivers to fix that, but aren't going to be available for a few months, and I wouldn't get my hopes up that it will be 100% fixed

Johnny_C13

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I guess it depends if the games in the Never Settle Bundle with the 7950 are important to you (Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, and FarCry: Blood Dragon).

Or, if you prefer having Metro: Last Light with your 660ti. Added value is everything!

Haza

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

I read somewhere that EA partnered with AMD for BF4 and that the next PS4 and Xbox will both have AMD graphics. Does this mean that future games will be developed to run better with AMD cards?

No. Nvidia outsells AMD by more than 2 to 1, so optimization for Nvidia GPU's makes more market sense. Consoles will only be using the equivalent of last generation low to mid-range GPU's, so again, games developed for the PC will still need to incorporate more sophisticated code geared toward high-end GPU's, rather than the console counterpart.

In terms of BF4 specifically, the better bet is that it will run better on Nvidia, particularly during the first few months after launch. First, BF3 ran significantly better on Nvidia cards for several months before AMD drivers caught up (see below). Second, even if you look at the games in the current AMD "Never Settle" bundle, there is no clear AMD advantage, and in the case of Bioshock Infinite, there's actually an advantage for Nvidia. Even a game like Tomb Raider, which did have a development agreement with AMD, at this stage there is no clear advantage in the benchmarks.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/04/2012_amd_nvidia_driver_performance_summary_review/5#.UYrMERPn-Uk
1361751138tjz9L8DXAc_5_6.jpg

Haza

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
is the 660 ti just an overclocked 660 and could I overclock it much further? if it is I might just get the 7950 and overclock it because there should be a lot of overclocking potential in the radeon.