Nvidia GeForce 7950GX2 Launches

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Matrox is out of the card making business.

The still are doing analog and digital devices but not graphics cards.

wow....no one got the joke......

Didn't sound or look like he was making a joke since alot of their focus has changed to their analogue and digital editing devices, so that would seem like a direct statement not a play on words equating their remaining cards to simple 'devices'.

Senator

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
This review was pure farce. It should have been a preview, cause that's basically all we got.

This card should be compared to all cominations in the same price range. It doesn't really matter if it's one card or two. It matters that it costs $600.

Thus, it should be compared to Crossfire and SLI combinations that equal ABOUT $600 dollars. Or, to be more thorough, THG should compare the scores with any SLI combination, since this card is compared to the hardcore gamer who's willing to spend big bucks for graphics.

Ginova

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Sooo......I have a GTX right now, would it be an upgrade or not to go with a GX2??? Considering it has twice as much memory I thought it was a no brainer, but after seeing some of the benchmarks im not so sure. I just barely purchased the GTX so I could take it back and upgrade for around $70. I do have an SLi board, so my next question is would 2 GTX's be better than 2 GX2s?? LOL!! Thanks in advance for the input.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Its obvious that FX60 cant handle the GPUs on this graphics card!! in DOOM3 NoAA 8xAF, frame rates are just stuck around the 136 mark from 1024 x 768 to 1600 x 1200...........A more powerful processor is needed to show what this dual-vga as one beast can do!!!
But not that a lot of people is gonna go out and buy one of hese anyway!!
These card will have a month or two before its branded as OLD TECHNOLOGY by the same company that advertised it as the KING OF VGA!!!!

crazyj

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
I would like to see the PCI-E slot on the front board rather than the back board so I can get my damned PCI slot back. I've got a Micro ATX mobo and I have 2 PCI slots and a PCI-E. There's a mount above the PCI-E slot that cant be used because of the orientation of video cards, so why don't they just flip it so we can get our damned PCI slots back?

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I noticed a discrepancy between the THG article and the one on Firingsquad.

You say:
As with Quad SLI, we do not see high volume sales in the future for Nvidia, but this could let people upgrade to a dual GPU platform more easily, as they would not have to change to an SLI motherboard.

Firingsquad says:
Keep in mind that you’ll still need an nForce SLI motherboard to support SLI with the GeForce 7950 GX2. If you plug a GeForce 7950 GX2 card into an nForce4 Ultra or nForce 570 Ultra motherboard, the card will work, but only one of the GPUs on the board will function. You’ll need to upgrade to an SLI motherboard if you want both GPUs on your GeForce 7950 GX2 card to operate in SLI mode.

So which one is true?

ussra2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
From what I have read, the GX doesnt need a SLI motherboard. This a reason that Nvidia came out with the GX2 to let users that dont have an SLI mobo to upgrade and have about the same if not better performance.

he GeForce 7950 GX2 will work on any motherboard with a PCIe graphics slot. SLI motherboards are not required. The system will detect it as a pair graphics cards installed, but the drivers will see it as only one card with no messy SLI profiles or settings required.

Hardware Zone

The above link is a direct link to the information provided above.

This is another source that proves, no you dont need an SLI mobo.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Considering the X1900XTX and 7900GTX used to cost near $600 or more for the money the card isn't badly priced. I mean you're getting two cards with only a single PCI-E slot and you'll be able to use your PCI slots under the 2nd PCI-E x16 slot. Granted a Crossfire X1900XT(X) or 7900GTX setup might perform a little better but they also cost a minimum of $150 more and need a dual slot motherboard.

Really its not that bad of a deal. I just wish ATI would get down to 80-90nm so their cards run cooler and release the same thing. I'd buy it. And since their physics setup is supposedly going to need 3 video cards, it'd mean I only need two PCI-E x16 slots instead of three. Of course I don't understand why we can't have 1 X1900XT(X) for graphics and 1 X1600 for physics. Why do we have to have 3 freakin cards. Thats a lot of heat.

boe

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
I think it is GREAT that this is so much cheaper than buying two 7900 cards! I think it is great you could use this in quad mode.

I agree with the post below, I would wait for a Directx 10 card of this type to come out though but if I bought a card today considering this is not much more than a standard card 7900 it would be a very nice choice.

My BIGGEST concern is that I proably wouldn't be able to replace the stock fans with quieter zalmans or other quieter coolers.

I would hope that ATI made a similar card but with an option for replacing the coolers. I'm wondering if ATI made such a card if they could get better efficiencies to leverage the second card than they do with their current crossfire limitations.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I love you too Grape.

I needed to post a forum link and then it got added to the bottom of the page of the article.

Thanks for the hazing. Please sir, may I have another.

:p

Careful what you ask for. You might end up missing both eyes like Action Man.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Considering the X1900XTX and 7900GTX used to cost near $600 or more for the money the card isn't badly priced. I mean you're getting two cards with only a single PCI-E slot and you'll be able to use your PCI slots under the 2nd PCI-E x16 slot. Granted a Crossfire X1900XT(X) or 7900GTX setup might perform a little better but they also cost a minimum of $150 more and need a dual slot motherboard.

I would have liked to have seen XFired X1900XT, SLI 7900GTX and quad SLI benchmarks tossed up alongside the data shown in this article, just to put a frame around the ballpark this stuff competes in. (interpretation: I'm too lazy to go dig it up right now and besides, I like to see it all plotted together)

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Beware of seriously long post:

This new card has to be seen as a SINGLE card. It does not need to be in SLI mode Here is a list of motherboards that are support Nvidia's 7950GX2 cards. Obvioulsly there are chipsets that are not SLI certified nor support two PCIe slots that can support the 7950GX2. I spoketo Bryan DelRizzo at Nvidia today and there are boards that are beyond this list that might support the 7950GX2 without an updated BIOS. One reader asked us about the Abit AA8XE and I have a message into Nvidia's support test labs to find out. What I think Brandon means is that when you want Quad (or running two of these together) you need to have an SLI motherboard. It is something you should ask Brandon as I cannot put words into his mouth.

You can find Nvidia's latest listing on their website: http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp

1. Motherboard Manufacturer
2. Motherboard Model
3. Chipset
4. Required System BIOS (Or higher)

ABIT
AA8 Duramax
Intel 925X

ABIT
AW8
Intel 955X

ABIT
AN8 SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI

ABIT
K8N SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI

Albatron
K8SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
R1.12

ASUS
A8N32-SLI Deluxe
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI

ASUS
A8N5X
NVIDIA nForce4

ASUS
A8N-E
NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra

ASUS
A8N-SLI Premium
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
1013 (available soon)

ASUS
A8R32-MVP Deluxe
ATI CrossFire Xpress 3200

ASUS
A8V-E Deluxe
VIA K8T890/VT8237R

ASUS
M2N32-SLI DELUXE
NVIDIA nForce 590

ASUS
P5LD2
i945P

ASUS
P5LD2-VM
Intel 945G

ASUS
P5ND2-SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Intel Ed.

Biostar
i945 G-M7
Intel 945G
24F

DFI
Infinity NF4 SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
2006/04/10

ECS
KN1 SLI Lite
NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
1.1d

ECS
nForce4-A939
NVIDIA nForce4
1.1g

Foxconn
NF4SLI7AA-8EKRS2
537F1P34

Foxconn
C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H
NVIDIA nForce 590
612W1P19

Gigabyte
GA-8I945P PRO
Intel 945P
F5

Gigabyte
GA-8N-SLI-Quad Royal
F5

Gigabyte
GA-K8N Pro-SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
F4

Gigabyte
GA-K8N51GMF
NVIDIA nForce 410/GeForce 6100
F7

Gigabyte
GA-K8N51PVM9-RH
NVIDIA nForce 430/GeForce 6150
F1

Gigabyte
GA-K8NF-9
NVIDIA nForce4
F10

Gigabyte
GA-K8N-SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
F9

Gigabyte
GA-K8NXP-9
NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
F9

Gigabyte
GA-K8NXP-SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
F11

Intel
D955XBK
Intel 955X

Intel
D975XBX
Intel 975X

Intel
SE7525GP2
Intel E7525
P08

iWill
DK8EW 59102
NVIDIA nForce4 Pro 2200
V130

MSI
K8N Diamond Plus
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
A7220NZ1 v1.22 4/18/06 (available soon)

MSI
K8N Neo4 Platinum v1
NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
1.D

MSI
945P NEO2-F
Intel 945P
A7176IMS v3.2 12/12/05

Supermicro
X6DA8
Intel E7525
1.0B

Tyan
S2895 D/T
NVIDIA nForce 2200/2050
2895_103

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I know that people want to see XFire and SLI against this card as it is practically SLI on a stick. However, since it does not require a special motherboard and that it is being positioned as a single card we should treat it that way. Nvidia even claims that SLI and CrossFire should beat out the GX2 as it is underclocked compared to the other cards clock for clock. This is where they are making their move to multi-gpu on a single card. It kind of reminds me of the 3DFX days when Voodoo2 SLI came back into Voodoo 5.

We are working on a full run down of the 7000 series cards as well as and ATI variant just to get a full perspective on each family.

What things would you like to see? shoot me an email at darren@tomshardware.com

IdiotNewb

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
From what I have read, the GX doesnt need a SLI motherboard. This a reason that Nvidia came out with the GX2 to let users that dont have an SLI mobo to upgrade and have about the same if not better performance.

he GeForce 7950 GX2 will work on any motherboard with a PCIe graphics slot. SLI motherboards are not required. The system will detect it as a pair graphics cards installed, but the drivers will see it as only one card with no messy SLI profiles or settings required.

Hardware Zone

The above link is a direct link to the information provided above.

This is another source that proves, no you dont need an SLI mobo.

I think you are right on this. I think they are pushing this for a quick fix for conroe until the nForce 590 intel sli motherboards come out. And even then nForce 590 supports ddr2 667 where as the 965 chip set supports ddr2 800(but not sli ready).

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I have another message into Nvidia and one with Biostar. Computex is going on so I am not sure how fast I will get a response back from Boistar.

We shall see.

Ok, the thing that's WEIRD about that is how does the app/driver know which rendering type (AFR/SFR) to use without all the 'messy SLi' stuff?

Does the card default to AFR for all situations and do the load balacing on the card?

Seems a little simplistic to say the least to just say 'it's detected as one card' because the mechanics behind how SLi works depends alot on how the system or card handles the ineraction of those two cards, and technically they aren't using the SLi bridge on the card itself, they are communicating across the lanes.

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Got word back from Nvidia on that Biostar motherboard. It has not been tested by Nvidia's labs for compatability but that does not mean the board will not work with GrForce 7950GX2. I would suggest that you wait until you know for sure if you are thinking about purchasing that card. Nvidia thinks that your board my work with it without an update. I would send a personal message to Biostar to get their answer. (I will wait for my answer from Biostar) If you have purchased one of these cards... tell and when you get it the card does not work, contact Biostar and demand a BIOS update.

Senator

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
Could the character on the box look any stupider?

hahah i know. looks like a character from a bad episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers...or a TMNT reject...BeBop's cousin perhaps? :lol:

ussra2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Thanks alot Darren for checking on that. I will send word to Biostar and see if its compatiable and if not I will demand they test it then! LOL

Thanks again Darren.

atticman

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Okay, this is cool but the 7950GX2 cores have been slowed down to not much more the the 7900GT, a whopping 200MHz less than the 7900GTX.

As the header to this image says, "Nvidia keeps the core and memory running a bit slower than the GeForce 7900GTX due to heat issues."

I believe Mr. Polkowski made a slighter under-statement with the above quoted text from his article.

Here is the spec list:
http://images.tomshardware.com/2006/06/05/geforce_7950_gx2/comparisontable.jpg

I think this is a complete waste of money if you can't run the cores at least the same clocks as the 7900GTX. If heat wasn't an issue, those cores should run at least at 7900GTX speed and it would blow the ATI out of the water completly.

And the heat sinks look really weak also, no wonder they have to "under-clock" the cores.

Lame... Like having an 8-cyclinder engine running on only 6cyls.

Is there anyway you guys could run this test on a water-cooled 7950GX2 at full clock?

-AM

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I have to say I’m a bit disappointed. I was expecting the card to be a dual core GPU (not 2x GPU but 2 cores onto 1 chip like Dual core Pentiums) chip and what we got was basically 2 cards strapped together.

The benchies look fairly impressive but not mind blowing, I think I will be waiting for a few more years for this technology to mature before purchasing it.