Nvidia GeForce 7950GX2 Launches

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Nvidia takes what that created in the form of GeForce 7900GX2 and shrinks it down for the rest of the world. What do you think of Nvidia's latest creation?

Discuss the article and this topic here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/05/geforce_7950_gx2/

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
First of all, this has been posted a million times, we don't need more.

It's just two 7900GTs on one PCI-E board, it's nothing revolutionary. No new technologies are used, besides the possibility of having quad SLI, which is a total waste.

cleeve

Illustrious
Guys, Darren Polkowski is the Tom's Hardware resident graphics card guy... he writes all the tasty reviews on new hardware.

So a little respect is in order at least, eh fellows?

ussra2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Well sorry for that first post D. However, this isnt what people are wanting in my own opinion.

lets just make this the GX2 discussion....

mpjesse

Splendid
Shouldn't this discussion be linked to an article though? You guys do plan to do a full blown article on the GX2, right? If so, this discussion/thread should have waited until then.

Just my opinion though. :)

cleeve

Illustrious
I think Darren will link the article to this, he just posted the thread before the article went live so that the article wouldn't link to nowhere.

One of the things we requested that they do at Tom's is to link articles to discussion threads so we can talk about the reviews... Darren is just trying to comply with our request. :)

IBN

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
With directx 10 coming out soon. Is it worth buyiung this card? Could this be a signal that directx 9 cards will be supported by Vista???

mpjesse

Splendid
I wouldn't call it a "signal."

But rest assured, DX9 will work fine with Vista and all new games. And I still think M$ will be forced to release (some form of) DX10 on XP... no matter what they say.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
I wouldn't call it a "signal."

But rest assured, DX9 will work fine with Vista and all new games. And I still think M$ will be forced to release (some form of) DX10 on XP... no matter what they say.
You serious? They will never do that since they can make DX10 only Vista, and pay game makers to make games for Vista and DX10 ony so people would be forced to buy Vista. Therefore, M$ makes more money.

Guys, Darren Polkowski is the Tom's Hardware resident graphics card guy... he writes all the tasty reviews on new hardware.

So a little respect is in order at least, eh fellows?

Nah man, he should link to his own review or else be treated like the rest of the plebs! :twisted:

The least he coulda done was make his 'the article' a hyperlink. :wink:

Die n00b!e DIE! :tongue:

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I love you too Grape.

I needed to post a forum link and then it got added to the bottom of the page of the article.

Thanks for the hazing. Please sir, may I have another.

:p

Matrox is out of the card making business.

The still are doing analog and digital devices but not graphics cards.

Dude they still sell graphics cards, a little reasearch, eh!
It's not all about gaming despite what most of us focus on. :roll:

They don't have a newly launched products as ATi and nV, but they still sell their current line-up of P and G series cards, which still pretty much the tops in 2D and multi-monitor support.

Considering they shipped more than 75,000 cards in the first quarter of this year, that's pretty good, and more than 3DLabs who arguably have a more recent refreshed line.

And while niche to say the least, they still make cards, so don't have the wake before they're actually gone! :evil:

I love you too Grape.

I needed to post a forum link and then it got added to the bottom of the page of the article.

Oh I know why it's here, it just made me laugh how it appeared and the reception it got, and I'll pile on of course because you slight my beloved Matrox! :tongue:

Thanks for the hazing. Please sir, may I have another.

:p

LOL! You got busted by the filter!

You're welcome, as always, I'll edit if need be, just piling on of course. Just made me laugh, it's all tongue in cheek. :twisted:

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Okay... guess I need to rephrase that...

"They don't sell graphics cards most people in this forum would ever care to own."

Granted things for multi-monitor support they are a card to reckon with. But I highly doubt that even you would need a 4 monitor support up to 16 monitors by using from 4 plug in PCI cards or a PCIex1 card for your personal use. However, I could be wrong. Some people do the craziest things.

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Actually, I loved Matrox. I still have some of their cards of old. Being a pack rat of old PC items I have a bunch of old things. I still use an S3 Virge/DX sometimes. Ironically there have been motherboards from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and a host of others that were anal about needing a PCI card to boot, even when the PCIe selection was made in the BIOS. Weird BIOS issues from NF4 early days. It just proves that old is not bad... just old.

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I take it you care about Oblivion performance.

For the testing I use one of the most insane outdoor scenes I could find. It is the transition from day to night and with the settings as such.

Resolution: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 2048x1536, 2560x1600
Brightness: Default (Leave this where the game starts it at)
Texture Size: Large
Tree Fade: Max (All the way to the right)
Actor Fade: Max
Item Fade: Max
Object Fade: Max
Grass Distance: Max
View Distance: Max
Distant Land: On
Distant Buildings: On
Distant Trees: On
Int. Shadows: Max
Ext. Shadows: Max
Self Shadows: Off (These look like crap and just aren’t working right yet. Makes everyone look like they have beards… even the ladies… *shivers*)
Shadows on Grass: On
Tree Canopy Shadows: On
Shadow Filtering: High
Secular Distance: Max
HDR Lighting: Off (HDR and AA cannot be done together in the game with Nvidia. ATI can but we will revert to the lowest common denominator)
Bloom Lighting: On
Water Detail: High
Water Reflections: On
Water Ripples: On
Window Reflections: On
Blood Decals: High
Anti-aliasing: 4x

Right now the only cards that can handle Oblivion at high settings is in the cost range of what Kelt Reeves at Falcon Northwest calls the "Elite Bastards Group." Basically those with significant dollars to spend on high end hardware. Besides... even if you want to run at the resolutions that less than 10% play at, you need to spend some serious coin on the monitor.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I take it you care about Oblivion performance.

For the testing I use one of the most insane outdoor scenes I could find. It is the transition from day to night and with the settings as such.

Resolution: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 2048x1536, 2560x1600
Brightness: Default (Leave this where the game starts it at)
Texture Size: Large
Tree Fade: Max (All the way to the right)
Actor Fade: Max
Item Fade: Max
Object Fade: Max
Grass Distance: Max
View Distance: Max
Distant Land: On
Distant Buildings: On
Distant Trees: On
Int. Shadows: Max
Ext. Shadows: Max
Self Shadows: Off (These look like crap and just aren’t working right yet. Makes everyone look like they have beards… even the ladies… *shivers*)
Shadows on Grass: On
Tree Canopy Shadows: On
Shadow Filtering: High
Secular Distance: Max
HDR Lighting: Off (HDR and AA cannot be done together in the game with Nvidia. ATI can but we will revert to the lowest common denominator)
Bloom Lighting: On
Water Detail: High
Water Reflections: On
Water Ripples: On
Window Reflections: On
Blood Decals: High
Anti-aliasing: 4x

Right now the only cards that can handle Oblivion at high settings is in the cost range of what Kelt Reeves at Falcon Northwest calls the "Elite Bastards Group." Basically those with significant dollars to spend on high end hardware. Besides... even if you want to run at the resolutions that less than 10% play at, you need to spend some serious coin on the monitor.
No , the only thing that can handle oblivion is the 360, for 399 with my monitor. Instead of paying over 600 to get 35 fps. They have the technology, but want the consumers money first. If your happy with that, theres something wrong with you.

Granted things for multi-monitor support they are a card to reckon with. But I highly doubt that even you would need a 4 monitor support up to 16 monitors by using from 4 plug in PCI cards or a PCIex1 card for your personal use. However, I could be wrong. Some people do the craziest things.

Nah I still just like their SurroundView concpet, and while initially card dependant with the Parhelia, with the launch of the TripleHead2Go it's available to all the gaming community in one for or another. However my support of them is for their 2D, but even that is being challenged by ATi.

PS, FYI the Oblivion self-shadow is fixed with the Bethesda Beta patch. Looks really good actually.

And PPS, LB, this isn't an Xbox thread. Xbox =/= PC leave it at that, for whatever reasons you promote Xbox I can give you as many promoting PC, and vice versa even. Both have their strengths, and it's far from trouble free on the Xbox. :roll: