NVidia GeForce 8600 help

wolf59

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Can anyone tell me what the card edge connector on the top of a
512MB HP/Asus nVIDIA GeForce 8600GT DVI-
I/HDMI/TV-out PCI-E x16 Graphics Card

is?

This card is in a PC I am working on, but the default motherboard video is being used, and I cannot get the nVidia card to work (this is on an HP Pavilion M926of).
I activated the PCIE-16 slot as the primary video card in bios but when it reboots, the monitor doesnt see any signal at all - the power indicator just blinks. I wind up having to pull the card to get the system back up.

There is nothing connected to the top-edge connector so I was wondering if it is a required power header or something.

Thanks for any help you can provide
k

mandowner

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I dont know if I understand you correctly, but if you refering to the extra power supply most newer cards need - you have to connect extra powersupply to it - its either 1 4-pin, 1 -6pin och one 6-pin and 8-pin power connector from your PSU. Newer PSU have those build in, in the base cord setup - sometimes on older PSu you have to use an adapter...

wolf59

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Sorry - dont know how this double-posted. Maybe because I started the post before registering and registered when it prompted me.

Moderator can delete the extra copy.
thx
k

wolf59

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Hi Mandowner,

Thanks for the reply
I counted the contacts on the connector and there are 13 on each side of the pc board (did I mention this was a card-edge connector as opposed to a plug/header?) It is about 1/2 inch wide

k

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Like I posted in your other thread, what you are looking at is most likely the SLI connector, your card does not require power other than that supplied by the motherboard.

Edit: here is a picture of a SLI connector

SLI.connector.jpg

wolf59

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
LotHDK

That is the connector all right. Sorry I didn't see it in the other thread - I've only been watching this one - still don't know how I double-posted.

XM Keeper,

Believe it or not, I never even thought to check the fans.

I'll reinstall the card, take a look, and repost

k

wolf59

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
ok, I just discovered something.

The PC Im working on contains a geovision 2008 security system board.

When I remove this card, the video card works. Reinsert it and it no longer works.

Anyone have any idea for getting both cards to work at the same time?

thx
k

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Been digging around a bit, and have not been able to come up with anything useful I am afraid.

The card will not function on some VIA chipsets but that is not your problem, the other thing was that if you are running two cards, they suggest that you have at least a 400W PSU.
So it seems the card draw quite a bit of power (close to the PCI slots maximum?) so what PSU do you have?

With both cards in the PC, does it sound like it normally would booting to Windows, or does it just power on but with no activity on the HDD?

wolf59

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Thanks for all your effort lothdk, the pc boots fine with both cards in AS LONG as bios is set to use onboard video- so power doesnt seem to be the issue.

If necessary, I can continue to use onoard. I loose direct-x and all that addtl mem and performance. I wanted to get the nvidia working if I could.

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
How long have you had this card? I had an issue similar to yours once, and I had to reflash the BIOS because it somehow got a corrupted BIOS. It was one I bought off craigslist though, so if you've owned this card for a while, it's probably not the issue for you.