Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT

bbd194

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I just bought an Asus G1S-B2 off of eBay, for repair. The guy said that he had it checked out, and that it had the common issue of this graphics card. When I try to start it up, the screen does the Asus Gaming Series animation, but in the background there are either green vertical lines or red blocks. When it trys to start windows (it runs on Windows Vista), there are white dots across the screen, and the Windows Logo is not there. After it tries to start Windows, it shuts down, and retries the process. I have gotten it to start normally twice, and then I installed all of the drivers from the disk that came with it. I don't know if I need to update the graphics driver, or what because I just talked to an expert and he said before you replace it you should update the driver and see if that helps. The only problem is that I don't know how to get the driver from me other computer to the laptop that won't start windows so I can't get the driver on it. Any advice? I'm desperate!:(

You need to replace the laptop motherboard. You can find eBay shops that can repair it though, often in China or HK, or offer you a refurbished one. Basically, the 8600 chip needs to be reseated or replaced, and if you're here you don't have the equipment to do it yourself.

bbd194

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Well, somehow reinstalling Windows got me into my OS, and from there I updated the Nvidia driver, and now it's running like a charm! About to download my portal game from steam.

TRENDING THREADS