NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLI Flickering

kshawkeye

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hi, I have two NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ cards in SLI, so far I love them, other then my flickering problem.

When I load a game, (Crysis for example) the texures/skybox/trees/lights flicker here and there. When I load the map everything starts fine, then I will move around a bit, and once some stress is put on the cards the frame rate drops, and then the flickering problem starts.

It can happen when I walk into another room, or when I go from outside to inside, or inside to outside. The flickering doesn't stop either, unless I stay still and don't move, till it seems to work through the problem, but this solution doesn't always work. The flickering is best described as flashing, the walls or lights or whatever it is just keeps blinking.

I read somewhere that it might be a SLI bridge problem, yet my SLI bridge is brand new, and I've tried to flip it and switch it every way possible and the problem still occurs. I also read that it might be related to drives, which I have uninstall and installed but no go. I'm using driver version 258.96 from NVIDIA which is the latest that are out right now.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (if anyone needs to know). I even tried to uninstall and install all of Crysis again, and patch it up to 1.21 yet that didn't work.

Any help would be great, thanks.

kshawkeye

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
The drop in frame rate is only for a second, after the flickering starts there is no lag.

My temps are good, and the SLI "cable" (I think you mean bridge) is secure.

As far as drivers go, I will try the new beta ones, and if those don't work I will start downgrading till I hopefully find one that do.

I'll report back with my findings, thanks.

doc.jpg

kshawkeye

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Are you talking about force alternate frame rendering 1 or 2? No, it has been set to "NVIDIA recommended (SLI)" only because I tried those two before with Crysis, and performance with both was seriously effected.

Hmm see if you can enable SFR if the same continues then test each card, that is what I do with my 9800gt sli and I had two sli setups before that. I wish that my quad 7900gtx would work. Got two 7900gtx duo the first sli on a single card before the 7950gx2.

kshawkeye

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Down to 196.21 and still the problem exists.

I don't know how to enable SFR without another program like nHancer, and I have had bad experiences with nHancer so I don't want to try that again.

Both cards work perfectly, and the SLI bridge works too. This is a brand new system (more or less) and all parts work and are new.

kshawkeye

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
I'll keep my current drivers installed only because I feel downgrading more will not solve the problem, maybe it will, but I doubt it.

Any ideas are welcome, I'm dying to beat Crysis Warhead.

Thanks.