Discussion NVIDIA GeForce claims something ‘SUPER’ is coming. *off topic*

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello,

I just wanted to share this, so that's why I'm creating a general discussion Topic. Anyways, VideoCardz just posted an article, and according to the leaked info, it looks like NVIDIA has some surprise announcement to make at Computex. What do you guys think ?

A refresh of the TURING GPUs, or maybe a new RTX TITAN might be in the works ? I'm more inclined towards the former. On May 27th NVIDIA is holding a press conference. It is quite likely that we will hear more about this ‘product’ then. Btw, according to Wccftech, refresh Turing GPUs might get released as well

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-claims-something-super-is-coming

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...-cards-16-gbps-memory-tackle-amd-radeon-navi/

View: https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1131575511833022465

Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
IMO, the prices are definitely going to drop for sure as well, for the previously released RTX GPUs. They can't sell the SUPER series for the same price.
I was thinking about that. This might be a perfect opportunity for the used market. Obviously there is going to be a price drop. On top of that a select number of people not caring out budget are going to immediately want to sell their RTX 2080 ti's and they aren't going to be able to sell them used for the reduced price because you might as well just purchase new at that point. That being said, you might be seeing RTX 2080 TI's being sold anywhere from 50-70% of the original MSRP. Those select number of people are going to just want to get rid of their RTX 2080 TI to have the latest and greatest.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I was thinking about that. This might be a perfect opportunity for the used market. Obviously there is going to be a price drop.

I was actually referring to the existing RTX GPU lineup, which might get a price drop, mostly the new models, not used. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the current RTX GPU owners are going to sell their cards at a heavy discounted price on Ebay, or Amazon etc.

The used second hand market is going to bloom I think, lol. But will gamers really buy the OLD RTX Models, unless they get them at half the price ?

Reactions: SgtScream
I was actually referring to the existing RTX GPU lineup, which might get a price drop, mostly the new models, not used. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the current RTX GPU owners are going to sell their cards at a heavy discounted price on Ebay, or Amazon etc.

The used second hand market is going to bloom I think, lol. But will gamers really buy the OLD RTX Models, unless they get them at half the price ?
Good point, I think both you and I were talking about the pre-existing non-super variants (correct me if i'm wrong). To clarify, the 50-70% off current msrp had the price drop already factored in. This calculation is purely speculative, based on how much they dropped msrp with the 1000 series so definitely take this with a grain of salt. They are barely used and to be discounted that much is just something I cannot overlook, especially because of how new they are and the small percentage in performance increase of the super variant. eBay buyers could ask for all of the warranty information or somehow get everything transferred. I wonder how this could be done. Do you or anyone on this thread have experience dealing with used graphics cards and dealing with transferring seller warranty support? My bad for steering off topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think mostly you CANNOT transfer the warranty, in the US. SOME models of EVGA cards allow warranty transfer, but I get the impression that's only if it was bought from EVGA. Even then, I'm not clear if it has to be bought directly from EVGA's site, or if you could also do it if EVGA was the seller on Amazon, Ebay, etc.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have no idea. As far as I know, EVGA was the only one who allowed the possibility. I think all other brands, the warranty only applies to the original purchaser.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't hold me to this, but I think that's the way it works. That's why I've always been EXTREMELY skeptical of barely used (or even those listed as purchased but unused) video cards for sale that are close to the price of a new one. I'm valuing it less because I am not going to be able to rely on the balance of the warranty.

Extended warranties are against registration and most likely non-transferable, but normal (backed by State/Law) are enforceable with the receipt. I would imagine each vendor would allow transfer of extended warranties at their own discretion/policies.

As for the price of the "super" cards vs "normal" ones... I'm not sure nVidia will push the MSRP lower for them. I really think they'll keep either the same MSRP guidance or even increase it a bit. Street prices will accommodate to them immediately, but they'll most likely be expensive at first, making existing ones not really much cheaper until a few weeks, or even months, after release.

Cheers!

The Nvidia Super was leaked, but it is not too "Super"........2080 TI didnt change :(

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66171/nvidia-geforce-rtx-20-super-detailed-specs-leaked/index.html

No, I think according to WCCFTech, the Ti SUPER variant also exists. To quote their article::

Turns out, there is an RTX 2080 Ti SUPER variant and its a brand new chip. It’s not an old part and it’s not a repurposed Quadro part. Its completely unlocked, meaning the AIBs can have 300 watts TDP on this thing if they wanted to, and since it’s unlocked and will have higher TDP as well as higher core count we expect this to be much faster than the existing RTX 2080 Ti card.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Why won't you use ray tracing?
Due to to the current limitations. A 2080ti, a 1440p and up card, struggles with 100+fps with RTX ON at 1080p, which doesn't look as nice as RTX OFF at 1440p or 4k... not that impressive in it's current iteration.
Once they've got it high refresh(100hz+) playable(whenever that happens), I won't mind using it at all.
I guess it's something to screw around with every once in a while.

Due to to the current limitations. A 2080ti, a 1440p and up card, struggles with 100+fps with RTX ON at 1080p, which doesn't look as nice as RTX OFF at 1440p or 4k... not that impressive in it's current iteration.
Once they've got it high refresh(100hz+) playable(whenever that happens), I won't mind using it at all.
I guess it's something to screw around with every once in a while.
This is the exact reason why I chose to purchase a used GTX 1080 ti right after the price inflated RTX launch.

Reactions: King_V
implementing ray tracing isn't worth it for the performance impact

that's only true for gamer.

and not many games support rtx
how many games support DX11 tessellation on the first year of DX11?

it's not that impressive either

it's not about being impressive. the primary point of RT is to get rid of those fake effect and replace it the one that is more straight forward in implementation. long term goal is to remove all the fake effect we use right now and clean the engine code from the bloat caused by implementing those fake effect codes in game engine. let me give different example: why vulkan perform better than OpenGL? that's because the API are being clean to get rid ancient codes that preventing the API to perform optimally on modern hardware. when the game engine are much more cleaner there will be less issue and if there is any it should be much more easier for game dev to deal with. well yeah RT is still very heavy to compute but going forward it should be less an issue because IVH will definitely improve their RT core effectiveness. just like how nvidia double the performance on their tessellation engine every time they come up with new architecture.

so why would someone pay an extra premium to buy these rtx cards, which are overpriced as well ?

to me it was like this: ray tracing is just a bonus feature that comes with this cards. people still pay for the rasterization performance they get from those cards. the premium? that comes from the fact that competitor can't even give you that level of performance with their best performer.

Some update on the PRICING of the RTX SUPER GPUs. I hope this is accurate though, because WCCFtech posted this::

NVIDIA’s RTX 2080 SUPER will launch for $799, based on the unlocked, non-OC 2080 Ti chip

NVIDIA’s RTX 2070 SUPER will launch for $599, based on the unlocked, non-OC 2080 chip

NVIDIA’s RTX 2060 SUPER based on the non-OC 2070 chip will launch for $429

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-super-graphics-cards-msrp-leaked/

That can't be right... I don't think nVidia is that stupid...

That's just a price reduction disguised as "new products". Even more, just saying this, but those look like the prices we should've gotten from day 1, FFS. Is there anything new in them?

Basically, that means: 2080ti drops to $800, 2080 drops to $600 and 2070 drops to $430.

On the other (happier) side, that leaves room for a new 2080ti "ZUPAH" that could use a new improved GPU version/revision/family.

Well, this is WTFBBQTech, so there's not enough salt for their "rumours".

Cheers!