Nvidia Geforce GT 710

Haromass

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
I keep getting a error. The error is:

Nvidia Display driver stopped working and has recovered.

Anyone know how to fix this issue. I was doing some overclocking but I unclocked it but in curtain games, the game will crash and the error pops up. A game that happens a lot with is World of Tanks for me.

Specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200S @ 2.33GHz
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0U880P (CPU 1)
Graphics
DELL ST2010 (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 (EVGA)
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653G ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Solution

gussrtk

Honorable
your GPU is not one to be overclocked. It is a very basic budget GPU, and will not react well to overclock.

After overclocking have you even ran any type of a benchmarking program such as unigene valley? Your GPU is just unstable. Bring it back to stock clock, it also may be damaged by now. You are getting errors because your GPU is pushed too hard and it's crashing.

best thing for better graphics would be a higher tier GPU, Maybe you should go in that direction.

but, do you have a Dell Inspiron desktop? or a dell SSF (tiny little computer)?

Haromass

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

Yes I did benchmarking, and it's been on default since I got it. I think I played 1 game with it overclocked and then unclocked it. Yes I do have that crappy slim tower dell case.

gussrtk

Honorable
yeah so you're pretty much left with a though decision.

If you want to have better performance, you need a better GPU unfortunetly. But, that's not the end.. because your choices are extremely limited, due to your PSU and lack of actual physical room for a GPU. I don't know what the exact model of your dell is 760?780? optiplex. But if you have a 760, your best upgrade is a 7750 radeon, which costs quite the pretty penny... or if you have a 780, you could squeeze a 750ti in there (these are single slot GPUs, low profile). you need to see what you want to do. If you wish to see have some help for a GPU choice, you could make another thread and give your system specs Computer Model and so on, budget.

Ocing low end gpus does just as fine. I've seen some lower end ones actually get pushed a decent amount for a relatively big increase in performance. But something went wrong. What did you use to oc and can you confirm the speeds are stock? Did you try ddu and reinstalling the driver?

Those are some old and bad gpu suggestions. I'm guessing you just read old threads. 1050 and 1050ti offer significantly more performance plus better value for the price and are still the same tdp. But if less money wants to be spent, getting old used gpus is a cheap alternative. There's also cheaper gpus that will still play wot.

Haromass

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

The case is a 537s and the last thread I made the guy only said I should just drop what I have and do a new build but the problem with that is I don't have money at all and I literally just bought this card because the old one I had burnt up.

You also said that you had to tilt something to fit the card and that fan was making noise. Basically you tried to fit 10 gallons of water into a 5 gallon jug, trying to force something into a computer that was not made to work with it often comes out badly, even outside of the overclocking try you did. Test the card in another system, make sure the card is working. If it's not, contact the vendor and see if you can exchange it.

Solution

Haromass

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

I had to tilt the mother board in the case because the metal part on the GPU that slides into the a lot that has the HDMI sockets was to long and wouldn't fit, it does work with the rest of the computer it just doesn't work with that case. I'm probably going to test the card on my sisters computer once I get the extension cable for the powder supply and setup bios.

halofreak_1990

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

Actually, if you can keep it cooled, the GT710 overclocks quite well. Anywhere between 50%-115% can be gained on the GPU clocks and 35% speed on memory. But for passively cooled operation, I'd recommend staying with the stock clocks.