NVidia GeForce GTS 240 1024MB or ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB

Rp89

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Purchasing a Dell Xps 9000. No gaming, but I'm going to be playing online poker on it abt 90% of the time it's in use playing 12-24 poker tables at once.
I need to have a dual monitor set up, I can't find anything on google that verifies the GTS 240 supports 2 monitors and the 4350 says it does in the specs but I've read ppl on forums say they can't actually run 2 monitors on it, they can only get a clone on the second monitor and not have it discreet. I'm looking on purchasing this computer ASAP so any help will be appreciated. Thx.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Both cards support dual monitors from each perspective manufacturer’s website. Also managed to find a few posts on the internet from various forums about people asking about dual monitors for each and the answer was yes.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Yes, both graphic cards support dual monitor use.

If you are just playing poker the much cheaper 4350 is good enough--if you want to play a game that uses both screens for something faster moving than poker the GT 240 is more powerful card.

If you decide to go with more than 2 monitors you should get a higher-end ATI card.

Tryptamine

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I just got a 4350, and it in fact can run dual monitors in either clone mode, and extended desktop mode. The one thing, there are different versions of this card. Some have S-video out, others have HDMI out. Also besides that, some have dual DVIs plus S/HDMI, some have a DVI, a SVGA, and S/HDMI. I have an old monitor so in order to run the S-video out to the TV, and use my old monitor, I bought a Dynex DVI to VGA converter because the ramdac in the card can control either S-Video or VGA, not both at one time. With the adaptor fitting my cord to DVI, I can now run the DVI out to my old monitor, whilst running S vid to the TV simultaneously.
And yes, almost any dual monitor card will certainly support clone mode and extended desktop mode.
Good luck.
Frank

mantharous

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I have the Nvidia Geforce GTS 240 graphics card and ill tell you its not as good as it seems. If your really into gaming and you want a good graphics card that will be able to run all of the new released games, please get a different graphics card then the GTS 240. I tryed out the graphics card with numerous games.
I have played Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Bioshock 2, Borderlands (crappiest game i have ever played), and so far the graphics run great for those slightly older games.

The Nvidia Geforce GTS 240 has a gig of GDDR3

The only game that it wont run is Battlefield Bad Company 2. Color splotches occur every second, depending on how many people are in the game and how much bullets are flying through the air. the random colors occurring in the background scenery that makes it impossible to see whats ahead. And when there is 10/30 players playing, the random mosaic patterns occuring on the screen get even worse. It will be the most frustrating thing you will experience in game.

My specs are:
Dell XPS 630i, 64 Bit Comp, Vista
E8400 Intel Core Duo Processor 3.0 Ghz (6mb Catche)
Nvidia Geforce GTS 240
6 GB DDR2 (5-5-5 Sticks) G-skill memory

Newer games that are 2010+ will not run with the GTS 240 that i posses.