Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I would imagine is at midday PST? Or maybe midnight from the 17th to the 18th?

I am also waiting for them, hahaha. It can't come soon enough!

Cheers! :p

EDIT: Nice timing 17seconds. That is one impressive jump. Let's see what others can find as well.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

Huh... the 4k performance is TERRIBLE, to be honest. Not unplayable but nowhere near the bare minimum of 60fps. And here I hoped we finally have a capable single GPU to game on 4k. The Hype Train derailed *sigh*

I feel sorry for those who thought this was a card that was worth buying (unless it's for VR). So many people tried to correct me with my research on NVIDIA, yet I was right. Feels good to not be disappointed, though can't imagine everyone else who's been mislead. When are we going to see VR numbers?

KillSwitch07

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
Well, it's definitely faster than GTX 980 SLI and it's now a given that the GTX 1070 will be faster than a TitanX. And let's not forget that it's destroying cards that currently cost $700-$900+. To see the top dog card in the middle of this chart, right alongside the GTX 960 and 970 is nothing short of impressive.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/28.html
perfdollar_2560_1440.png

And this chart should really tell you that we aren't in Kansas anymore.

perfwatt_2560_1440.png

No it's not impressive, because paying 1% more gives you 1% more performance, average over a 980 Ti. That's very bad, and I'm still waiting for that lawsuit on NVIDIA. False advertising is a serious offense. There's nothing they can say that it wasn't intentional.

Yeah, the 1070 is no doubt going to be fantastic price to performance. However, in my part of the world, NVIDIA cards sell for 20% more than AMD's equivalent, Buy during big sales is the only way that evens out.

Are they working on VR performance numbers as well? Given all the hype about VR; I'm surprised.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
It feels like nVidia purposefully slowed the 1080 down. Now given it's grat performance/watt, why not just give it 250W power so it can really outperform all else? *sigh*

KillSwitch07

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015

Well technically they were in the right since all the benchmarks they gave us and the context of the event was vr technologies which the 1000 series will utilize.

Nah, they intentionally blurred the line of what they ment by performance, without actually saying it. That's false advertising. They did it to build hype, but they didn't deliver. Because someone can just quote what he said, there's no way they can talk their way out of it...

rgd1101

Don't

Read the fine print. they never give you any detail. And now people are paying premium for because it first of the latest gen.

What part exactly? The part about it being faster than GTX 980 SLI? No, can't be that, because that part is true, by a lot.

USAFRet

Titan

You seem to have a high regard of 'advertising'.
"intentionally blurring the line" is specifically what advertising is.

If I buy a certain brand of beer, girls in bikinis will flock to my beach chair. They never actually said that. Just implied it.

Alerean

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
You people are never going to be happy are you? It's faster and cheaper than the current high-end cards, which is what we expected...

rgd1101

Don't

"Twice the performance of a Titan X"
They didn't said what exactly.

USAFRet

Titan

And might that be the case in one specific use? VR, perhaps?
I have no dog in this fight. I'm not in the market for a new GPU, especially a v1.0, day 1 release, of anything.

"...which is very illegal"
Please cite the relevant statute.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Im genuinely surprised people are disappointed with the performance. This is huge performance boost from maxwell (which was already impressive). The performance per watt is amazing.

Dont forget guys, this is the middle chip, not the big one - this is the successor to the 970/980.

Michael Trenton

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

I watched the keynote, but I can't remember if he said this while presenting, or just after presenting, its VR features. Does anyone know? :??:

KillSwitch07

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015

I completely agree, but i think the community overhyped its self a bit, everybody was expecting quad titan x sli performance with a $600 card. I think this card is a great step forward and a great preview of whats to come.

I'd say it is a very decent leap. I don't know if it's worth 600, but at least it's a big one. I will wait (as I originally intended) for the 1070, since that will be the card "paying the bills".

Also, that extra 100 for the "specially handcrafted cooler"... Can I just laugh now? Or do I have to wait until the first partners destroy it for less money?

Cheers!

That's why it's false advertising. They know that a lot of people are going to think it's better than what it really is, but they took that to the next level.

TRENDING THREADS