NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6GB stopped working 2 days after installing

Jan 4, 2019
I bought an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6GB and installed it.

I was using it for 2 days without any problems (even had a wee shot of Goat Simulator). However, on day 2 I decided to render a video in Vegas. An hour into the render, the PC monitor just shut off after hearing the "USB unplug" sound.

The card seems to work in safe mode, but when booting up normally, the monitors shut off once I get past the Windows logo startup screen.

I used safe mode to uninstall the drivers for the card using DDU and then again for re-installing the drivers straight from their website. The card simply does not work when the latest driver is installed.

What could be causing this issue? I am absolutely perplexed.

Jan 4, 2019

Yeah the monitor is connected via HDMI directly to the GPU.

In terms of trying an older driver, I think I may have done that at the very beginning when I first installed the GPU and let Windows find the driver from the net (apparently these are usually old). But as I previously said, after 2 days of use, it just stopped working an hour into rendering a video. I was making no attempts to tinker with the drivers at this time because I had no reason to.

I'm afraid I don't have another computer to try the GPU on.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone needs any further information then I'll be happy to provide it.