NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 fans stop spinning and card overheats

Willpower21

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
On startup, the fans on the video card will run but stop once the computer has logged on. I know most do not run unless a certain temperature is reached, but even when up to 90+ degrees the fans do not come on. Moving PCI Express slots fixed the issue for a short time but it started happening again. I downloaded MSI Afterburner to control the fan speed, and I can make it turn on for about 3 seconds manually but then they turn off once again. I bought this card off of craigslist so I'm not sure about the manufacturer warranty, thus I would love to solve the problem if at all possible.

Solution
Almost sounds more like a motherboard issue, if you moved the card to a different slot and that fixed it, even if temporarily.

I'd go looking on the manufacturers website/forums for similar issues, see if there's any firmware patches.

Willpower21

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

I'm using MSI Afterburner and it's only slightly working. The fan turns off after 2-3 seconds every time the curve is applied to it, so while it's keeping it from hitting 94 degrees, it is still running at 88+. Any reccomendations for the settings in afterburner to send the fan turn on request more frequently maybe?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Almost sounds more like a motherboard issue, if you moved the card to a different slot and that fixed it, even if temporarily.

I'd go looking on the manufacturers website/forums for similar issues, see if there's any firmware patches.

Solution