Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti: Three Cards, Unboxed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being $50 cheaper with commensurate performance. Mostly to fill in the gap between 1070 and 1080 that Vega hits (especially Vega 56).

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

and you really think that bitcoin miners will keep that $50 difference ? it will sky rocket to more than GTX 1080 in no time . you will see .

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

That's not really nvidia's worry, though, is it? This is what matters to them: people are buying Vega, this product is to get some of that market back. Doesn't matter if the customers are miners or gamers. Besides, as far as I know, Vega 56 wasn't that desirable for miners, but these things seem to change every other week, so who knows?

First x70Ti card in a generation or so. Can't help but think that AMD's Vega cards had some influence on this, and that the choke-chain placed on manufacturers might have something to do with it could potentially dig into GTX1080 sales. Just my opinion and guesswork though. Can't help but want a Vega 56 or 64, but this 1070Ti just might change my mind. (Yeah, I prefer AMD, but I'm not so stuck on it as to ignore performance to price.... It's why I won't get a Vega 64 at its current price point.)

[EDIT] Clarified "First Ti card in a generation or so" -> referring to x70 series.

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

I mean there is the 1080ti which came out a little while ago but yeah this is just to hit that same market that Vega has targeted with a product that is 'newer'. Still wouldn't go with Vega due to the manufacturing problems they have had with different HBM2 module height, even if the price point wasn't the same. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-vega-package-problem,35281.html

warpuck

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I put a Wind Force cooler off a HD 7970 on a R9 285. Used the two fans from the original cooler and added a Arctic 92mm to the end. The fan on the end blows thru the cooler end. Oh and got 125 Mhz more out of the GPU and more out of the memory. The original cooler did not have VRAM thermal pads connected to the cooler or the VRs. Just more all around with nuch less GPU temps. Can't see why that would not work on a short GTX card also

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Wow that Vulcan X has two 8 pin power connectors! Kind of hard to believe it will be running at stock.
AIBs will not only be sold at $449 more like $500 and up and then miners will boost that. I hope the sag in mining continues thru the holiday sales.

They are all going to be overclockable. The success of each in how high they can go will be dependent on cooling design and things like power phases for stability. Just like always. It's interesting to see how Nvidia has made all the vendors stick to one base and boost speed out of the box which puts them all on the same level playing field out of the gate. I don't agree with that jail sentence for the AIB partners, but it will be interesting to watch to see how each hardware review site has successes in pushing the various models.

skyviper80

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Miners would be stupid to buy this card. There is no performance benefit from a miners perspective. Only difference between this and the 1070 is the additional SM units and higher GPU clock rate. I know that the higher clock rate has zero benefit since all miners underclock the GPU to save power costs. As for the SM units, I don't know and will hold out until shown that the extra cores provide a true benefit. Memory clocks are the same as the 1070 as well so there is no benefit there.

Would I spent an extra $50 on a card that provides little to no performance gains? No! I could use that money to buy another 1070 to mine with.

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
I agree with the sentiment that this is a pointless card, seriously why pay 500 for a strix 1070 ti when you can get a strix 1080 for 549-559 if youre worried about saving 50-60 bucks when you're already dropping 500+ on a gpu, maybe you shouldn't be buying one. Just buy a 1080 and get the 10/11 gbps memory bandwidth. This is just a ploy by nVidia to gobble up the vega 56.

Status
Not open for further replies.