NVidia GeForce GTX 260 1792MB GDDR3 versus Single 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5770

bkpd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hello,
We ordered a Dell computer with Single 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 and they just sent an email saying it wasn't available so they would put in
NVidia GeForce GTX 260 1792MB GDDR3 with no price difference. They gave no further information. Would this be a good or bad thing for us? Thanks

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Personally, I'd tell them to shove the GTX260 "you know where" and give me what I ordered, but that's just me. It really depends on how you intend to use the computer.

The GTX260 and 5770 will perform similarly when it comes to game performance. However, they both offer specific features the other does not. Rather than taking a ton of time to type out each of the specifics and explaining them, I'll link their respective product pages at nVidia's and ATI's websites allowing you to compare them on your own. A little self-performed research and discovery of their similarities and differences would benefit you.

HD 5770

GTX 260

bkpd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Thanks. I will read both those pages. My first thought wasn't so nice. It was a very poor email to send to a customer. It seems like they don't really want to sell it. Thanks again.

notty22

Distinguished
Its very doubtful that a 5770 is not in stock. If you want a 5770 just say that you will wait. I bet you get your computer on time. They are just trying to clear out old stock, the card (260) is worth the money, but the longer we go in to dx11 game saturation, it will be less and less desirable.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Right on notty. That's why I said shove it to begin with. Dell is clearing old stock.

tuesday: Game performance is very similar, where it will trade blows with the GTX 260 in different titles, therefore it is not an upgrade. It is a lateral move to an older card that performs similarly in games. Meanwhile, the 5770 has features the GTX260 lacks. Sure, the 5770 lacks a few features the GTX260 offers, but nothing quite as vast as an entire Direct X version or Dolby TrueHD and DTS audio... Should I even mention power requirements?

It is for the customer to decide if the GTX 260 still provides the features and performance he/she needs.

notty22

Distinguished
Dell changes the way it does things, and what it offers , and customer options to select components. Frequently. I haven't been there lately , I just went to check out whats going on. It looks like on a lot of models they want you to take this Nvidia card. They probably bought a huge lot of them and this is the way they are doing things right now. I noticed Anand commented on a different Dell purchase where they were offering less select ability, it might be to tighten up profit margins.
I searched in google shopping the card and came up with these Dell models, all without option to change from that Nvidia card. It is a expensive card.
http://www.google.com/products?q=GeForce%20GTX%20260%201792MB%20GDDR3&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Kudos Notty22, this is exactly what they're doing. If they were out of stock, they would have removed the 5770 from any of their selections on their website or labeled it as "out of stock" Dell is the suck!

Nvidia has their share of problems as well as the recent driver update fan issue killing cards showed.
In terms of gaming performance the two cards are about equal but the HD5770 is superior feature-wise. Like notty said the HD5770 being out of stock sounds a bit sketchy to me. If it's actually true it seems like something that would be very temporary.