Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti Not Coming Until Q3 '12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetSpeak

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
This puts the HD 7800 series uncontested. NVidia need to realize that not by the time they release their mid-range in Q3 (if it's true), the mid-range segment would have already been filled by AMD.

G

By the time Nvidia's mid range is out, the HD 8000 series will (probably) be right around the corner.

sivaseemakurthi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Vow, thanks NV for not letting me down!! The news reported in semi-accurate, blaming nvidia for low yields are true then. They are perhaps back in design to fix issues that were resulting in low yields.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Even though I don't agree with AMD's extreme price gouging, Nvidia's option of focusing on the top end first kind of allows AMD to do whatever they want. I do understand Nvidia needing to say they have a faster card, that's simply a part of marketing.

On a side note, if AMD doesn't have record sales in the gpu department for 2012 H1, then something is clearly wrong!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]pharoahhalfdead[/nom]Even though I don't agree with AMD's extreme price gouging, Nvidia's option of focusing on the top end first kind of allows AMD to do whatever they want. I do understand Nvidia needing to say they have a faster card, that's simply a part of marketing. On a side note, if AMD doesn't have record sales in the gpu department for 2012 H1, then something is clearly wrong![/citation]

That's actually EXACTLY what killed 3dfx. They were so arrogant and over-confident with focusing on hi-end that they got swarmed with ATI/nVidia cheaper cards that everyone bought... well, we know the rest.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]sivaseemakurthi[/nom]Vow, thanks NV for not letting me down!! The news reported in semi-accurate, blaming nvidia for low yields are true then. They are perhaps back in design to fix issues that were resulting in low yields.[/citation]
On the contrary, the yields are so good that they don't have to disable sections of the chip and package as a low-end card. It's the same reason Intel doesn't sell three-core chips.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
[citation][nom]futuramafan[/nom]this was the only one i was waiting for, im just the avg guy i dont have 500-1000$ for a gfx card[/citation]
Yeah same here. I'm stuck with the 260 for now

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
And here I was hoping for an HD7800 under the $300 price-point. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. At these prices, it would be better to get the 7950 or even 7970.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Kinda sucks, was hopping for GTX 660 vs 7870 price wars, so prices could drop and I could upgrade mine 5770... :(

Sad part is.. longer nvidia is waiting higher chance me and many others will just get 7850/70...

G

Yes, let's crucify AMD for their high prices! Who cares that Nvidia is selling a $1000 GPU, and that AMD lost money last quarter, those b4stards have no right to sell the 7800 for so much!

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
The low yeilds that people speak of is because when Nvida makes the cores, they sort them... since they are only making 1 version... the ones that come out right become 680's the ones that come out FLAWLESS, they get shelved, destined to go into a 690 card with a well-matched partner... or sometimes get sold to card manufacturers to become an "overclocked 680".

The mistakes... well, if its only 1 bad part - those will become 670's with the faulty silicon disabled. 2 mistakes makes a 660, and so on. If it comes out too messed up, it gets meleted down and recycled.

So yes, its realistic that it will take them 6 month's to make enough mistakes to have a decent supply of the "lower" cards at launch. This is a common practice among chip makers, and saves them money on manufacturing then say printing 6 different chips - they just print 1 version and the "slight defects" get sold as lower models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS