Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti vs AMD Radeon HD 7950

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShardTheOwl

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
So I am going to build a Gaming PC soon, and I've been having some trouble deciding between the 2. I've heard there were driver issues and that the fan is loud and it gets hot easily with the 7950? I don't know which one I should get, lots of people seem to reccomend the 7950 over the 660 Ti.

Solution

Well the two cards are powerful enough that choosing one or the other won't make a difference at all on your gameplay in these games.

However, I think games might begin to be more optimized for ATI cards in the near future, because both the PS4 and the Xbox 720 will use ATI cards. Developers tend to first develop games with consoles in mind (because that's where most of their profits come from), and then make adjustments for PC versions, so PC versions of the games might also be more optimized for ATI tech (and might use more of the GPGPU capacities of ATI cards for example, which Nvidia cards don't have as much). Just my opinion.

I cant see WHY you would take the one you posted above the one that bigcyco posted, it has better cooling, better components and is much quieter. Geez they are the same price and the one you posted has a shipping cost...

I am starting to think you are trolling.

I am not being unhelpful. I have explained what a reference design is. And yet still you choose to ignore our advice. Buy what you want. No point in asking advice and then arguing or ignoring our advice.

Regards from this one...

ShardTheOwl

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
I'm not ignoring it. I don't see how the cooling is better on the IceQ. It only has 1 fan like the other, and I personally don't like the looks of the IceQ. Some people care about aesthetics, like me. Hell you can see the part of the graphics card that has those tubes potruding.

This should help explain it, custom cooled cards are generally quieter and run cooler:

fannoise_load.gif

But it does bring forward the point, that even the best custom cooled 7950 is going to be significantly louder than a reference GTX 660 Ti, and a lot louder than the many custom cooled GTX 660 Ti's that are all available for less than $300 with a free copy of Metro Last Light.

fannoise_load.gif

Sniff sniff... I smell a fanboy. :p

its due to the fact that the 660ti is in a significantly smaller envelope for power consumption, so it does not require as much power to keep it cool compared to its tahiti comparison, which is less efficient compared to Cape Verde/Picairn

Did I seem mad?

LOL I am FULLY aware that the GTX660ti generates less heat and noise than an HD7950.

Notice the smiley I put in? Chill there for me kiddo...

Beaker920

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Hasn't the bad vram cooling on the Vapor-X been cured now, with the 2x8 pin PCB?