Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Overheating ?

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hi, i'm newbie and i'd like having a problem (?) a while ago my GPU was pretty hot, temp between 68-71 C (62-64 on cold days) with ONLY firefox and raidcall running, no games at all... i reached out to nearest tech store to get a thorough checkup cuz this was affecting my CPU's temps too, thermal paste was re-applied, got it back, CPU's temp back to normal, but GPU changed very little 65-67 (HWMonitor) the GPU's temp seems to be stuck in the 60s, when i turn on the PC, i quickly open HWMonitor, and i can easily watch it going from 35 til 64-67 without anything opened, and its stays there.. i don't have any demanding game to test how high the gpu temp would go, but still 64-67 on idle doesn't seem normal to me... and the tech guy said my graphic card is functioning properly and there's nothing wrong whatsoever and that temp's normal for my gpu, i'm confused and can't shake off this feeling that something is wrong.. can someone enlighten me a bit ? is this really normal ? i'm overthinking/being too careful? i hate sending the PC to the tech store cuz it takes forever but if this can decrease my card's lifespan i gotta get this solved.. any help is appreciated, and as i said, i'm a newbie, so please don't go saying too complicated stuff cuz i won't understand, sorry for the ignorance, thanks for the attention

Solution
The fans are meant to spin to cool the card. Of course with anything the faster it goes or the more power it gets the shorter it will last. It wont kill the fans anytime soon and you dont want them to always be like that. Just set a custom fan profile with afterburner and set the fans to spin up to say 70% or something when the temp gets above 50c or 60c. Also make sure there isnt anything blocking the cards heat sink. This sounds like a prime example of bad thermal paste or SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER dirty heatsink. Just pick up a small tube of like artic silver 5 or something and watch a youtube video on how to reaaply it. Its simple. Thermal paste should be less than $10

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Hey,

with only those applications running, your GPU is too hot. What are the temperatures when gaming, or under a benchmark load.

The thermal paste reapplication will only have helped the CPU, as the guy ll have only reapplied thermal paste to the CPU. You may want to do it to your GPU also, and make sure it is dust free. You can try it on your own without putting it in the shop.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

Hi Benab3. sorry, but like i said, i currently have no demanding games, only a NDS emulator, as for the re appliance of the thermal paste, it was done in both CPU and GPU because the main reason i sent my PC there was the GPU being too hot and the CPU was being affected but its Temp was safe according to Intel so the main piece being worked on was the GPU... i wasn't worried about the CPU at all even with the extra-heat of the GPU the CPU was at a safe temperature..

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

IF the thermal paste was re-applied to the GPU, then you may want to check the application of the paste.

Also, check that the fans are spinning properly.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

Check the application of the paste? sorry but i have no idea how to do that, i depend solely on the tech guy and ofc the internet..
honestly the one from my previous address would probably be able to solve this in a click, but sadly we're too far away now.. hahaha..

about the fan.. they appear to be spinning properly, i can see, hear (kind of, its pretty quiet)
there's an option on HWMonitor that i don't get it, it says FANPWM 35%, and i'm positive it doesn't go over or under that cuz i've surfing on the web with the app on the side and didn't notice any % change on that..

in the web i found a person with a overheating problem appearing to be quite frustrated that one of his fans was at 50% PWM while the others were at 90% (or 99 i don't remember correctly but was in the 90s)

so i thought maybe its the fan but, as a newbie i've no idea how to proceed, huh... lack of knowledge can be a pain in the ass some times..

Some do yes but not all. If he is doing something thats using his gpu at low temps or if he has poor ventilation in his case its very possible if the fans aren't spinning that could be causing the issue. The gpu's who's fans dont spin at low temps do still come on to cool it back down to whatever the set temp is. Its not like they never spin. So even like "msi" whom you're referring too once the gpu hits like 50c the fans do come on to cool it back down to the 30's then they shut off. Its probably bad thermal paste.

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Yes, I do understand how the 0 fan feature works. I was using it to show that, under the load he is describing ( google chrome ) that most new graphics cards don't even need their fans to keep them cool.
Even a case with the worst airflow would be able to keep a card cooler than that under the load being described.

Edit: sorry, did not meant to hit the select best answer button.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hi Benah3 and azzazel_99

I've tried MSI Afterburner and set my fan speed from 35% to 75% as soon as i click on apply my GPU's temp began to drop immediately, like magic! its a bit noisy now, which i don't care, however, its safe doing this ? increasing my Fan's speed ? could this decrease its life span or something ? in the future if while playing a demanding game, can i set the speed to 100% without fear ? really appreciate the help! thanks to you guys now i know what was causing the excessive heat so the last thing i want is to overwork my fan until it gives itself up

with the Fan at 75% GPU's temp is between 51-53C, is it a good temp with only firefox, hwmonitor, utorrent, wmp, msi, desmume opened ? or shut i go straight up and put speed at 100% ?

thanks once more!

You need to either reapply the thermal paste or replace that card all together. Your gpu even at 35% fan speed should be around 35c max

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Running the GPU fan at 100% won't kill it, but is will create a fair amount of noise, and shorten the lifespan of the fan.
A great thermal paste is MX-4, it is not metallic, so won't conduct electricity and it great at conducting heat.

There are some great guides on youtube how to replace the GPU thermal paste, Linus Tech Tips did one to my knowledge.

The fans are meant to spin to cool the card. Of course with anything the faster it goes or the more power it gets the shorter it will last. It wont kill the fans anytime soon and you dont want them to always be like that. Just set a custom fan profile with afterburner and set the fans to spin up to say 70% or something when the temp gets above 50c or 60c. Also make sure there isnt anything blocking the cards heat sink. This sounds like a prime example of bad thermal paste or SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER dirty heatsink. Just pick up a small tube of like artic silver 5 or something and watch a youtube video on how to reaaply it. Its simple. Thermal paste should be less than $10

Solution

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
@Benab3

MX-4 huh? a'ight, noted, i'll look for it, probably won't find in stores where i live, most likely i'll have to order it online xD

@azzazel_99

done it, the fan's now set to be at the same speed as the gpu's temp value, so if its at 60 C, fan will go at 60% speed, its stable so far, i'm liking it, however, its still not a normal idle temp, but its cooler than before and that's nothin' but good...

also, my entire case and its components cannot get any cleaner, believe you me, dust and dirt i can handle it, so i'll be checking the thermal paste, its pretty much the only thing left to do since i can't afford to replace the card right now

@17seconds

well i don't think i can anymore as my temp is no longer at 60-70 house as before but, at least now (never noticed before) my clock speed is normal, and my gpu usage is usually below 15%, as for my fan, before the use of msi afterburner suggested by the fellas above, it was stuck at 35% speed regardless of how hot my gpu was

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

Thanks! We take our victories where we can lol
i'll report back once i've done it

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hello!

Sorry the delay but as i thought i didn't found the MX-4 Thermal Paste in any store nearby, so had to order online and took a while to get here, but anyway, i did it, i re-applied it but unfortunately nothing changed. I wait 2 days and nothing, 0, nada, no changes whatsoever, so i'm thinking the problem must be in my video card itself but like i said i can't afford to replace it at the moment... however something interesting did happen... you see, every time i turn on my PC i keep using it until i turn off and i very rarely reboot it cuz its never necessary, but while my internet was down one of these days, i had some windows update already downloaded so i decided to install them, after the reboot my GPU's temp was bizarre, it was... very low... o_O between 36-39 i found odd cuz i haven't done anything i merely reboot it.. like wtf... but i assume this must be the normal idle temp, but once i turn off and on again, it went to back to its old self 49-52 (cold weather) 54-58 (hot weather)... regardless of anything the temp's is cooler than since i started this thread and for that alone i thank y'll. So, i guess i'll have to wait, and when possible replace this shit

just check other software too. It could be the thermal sensor on the video card bad. But use gpu-z, hwmonitor, precisionX, msi afterburner and asus strix software and see if they all report the same thing. If so its probably a bad sensor.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Tried the ones you mencioned plus "Speccy" (already had hmwmonitor and msi afterb.) they all reported the exact same thing... i wonder about this bad sensor thing, its not harmful right ? assuming that this is actually my problem, isn't that just a false reading of the temp? but not what it actually is, like a visual bug, you see one thing but its actually another, so maybe my gpu's fine in a certain sense or am i wrong ?

its very possible. If the card is still under warranty i would just rma it. Given its a older card more than likely you would get a 970 to replace it. I've heard several people who have sent in their evga cards for repair service and got back 970's to replace it. RMA'ing is your best bet.

JakePC12

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
What is your GPU? And if your computer is dusty clean the dust off with an air compressor, dust can slow down the system and raise temps. Open the GPU to where you apply thermal paste and if you see dust clean it off.

TRENDING THREADS