NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 seems sluggish

xRMPx311

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
I've been using this graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960) for several years now, and recently I've had some performance issues. Many games I've been playing seem to get less fps then they used to. Guild Wars 2 for example, I ran the game smoothly when it released, but now I struggle to get above 40 fps, and an average around 20-30 on lower settings. I've uninstalled my drivers and reinstalled them to ensure they're updated. I did a benchmark test with FurMark, and the results are below. Is my GPU performing poorly, and if so how can i fix it?
http://imgur.com/35TdE5p

Solution

Yes, your CPU is not quite up to par with the video card, but that won't explain new issues in the same games you were using before that ran faster, assuming all else stayed the same. See what happens after a clean Windows setup.

xRMPx311

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Yeah Guild Wars 2 has been updated a lot, but the lower frame rates are consistent through all the games I play. I'm unaware of how to check temps, or what exactly that is. My last clean windows setup was around 8 months ago.

*I'm going to factory reset my computer, just to keep it clean, and that could possibly help the situation aswell. I've been wanting to do it for a while now.

Temperatures of the system can affect speed, if components get too hot they step down the speed to keep from getting damaged. You can use HWMonitor to check that. Start that utility, play a game, then see what the max temp is for the CPU and video card.

xRMPx311

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Yes, while playing games. In a more intensive game it won't go past 65. However after trying an intensive game, my CPU temp jumped up to 78c. Also, how come when I'm getting low frames my GPU is only using 40-60% power? Could my cpu (AMD FX-6100) be bottlenecking my gpu?

Yes, your CPU is not quite up to par with the video card, but that won't explain new issues in the same games you were using before that ran faster, assuming all else stayed the same. See what happens after a clean Windows setup.

Solution