Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
How important is gaming to you if you spend $500 on GPU and $500 on a monitor?

I guess i am the only one paying for rent out there.

i personally find 4k at sub 48 inch stupid... but than again, i had 800x600 monitors at 15 inches and played some games at 640x480 on 17 inch screens, i also played ps1 games, so once hd came around and was single gpu at 1080p i had no issues whatsoever with jaggies any more.

im not paying 500+$ for AA
im also not sacrificing that much processing power for AA
hell im 1920x1200 at 24 inch... i dont use aa.

granted, a monitor could last you 5+ years if you get a good one so you can see it as an investment, and a gpu, im learning more and more if you sell your high end gpu the moment a new high end gpu comes out, you can get a sizeable upgrade every year for under 100$ and you over all come out ahead.

sorry im tired as hell, i just realized i dont know which way to meant your comment to be taken.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I'm writing this as seriously as I can, not being a fanboy: What is the purpose of the Titan X at this point? It lost its DP performance that made it a fantastic workstation-gaming hybrid. Also, it really sucks for people who bought a Titan X just a little over a month ago? That's ~$350 down the drain pretty much. Yea the Titan X has all that extra VRAM, but for what? 3 4K displays maybe, at which point a 980ti SLI would probably lose by about ~5% due to a few less CUDA cores.

Again though, for most customers, the 980ti is the obvious choice. I just feel like nVidia totally screwed over most of their Titan X customers now. And why? Well, I really think the 980ti will be the cheaper answer to AMD's Fury or whatever Fiji will be called, Really interested to see how it will do. If Fiji beats the Titan X/980ti, it's rumored $800 price point would make the 980ti a somewhat compelling offer depending on how well it does.

In the end, I'm loving this competition!

wedouglas

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

If you don't have $1000 of discretionary income each year, you need a better job. Better question would be, what adult doesn't have $1000 for a graphics card and a monitor?

Eggz

Distinguished
SOOOOO glad you're finally including the 780 ti in the graphs again! There were a lot of people with this card, and excluding it from the Tom's graphs made things harder to assess. Thanks!

My first considered card since my GTX680 2GB. My only complaint is:

NVidia only reference model? (sigh)

I get the reasons. Minimal competition plus overclocking with better cooler beats Titan X hands down (for gaming). Plus, maybe we'll see non-reference later.

FYI, the EVGA 980 Hybrid got 1600MHz on GPU. That's a fan on main card for VRM's etc and Liquid cooler loop just for GPU with 12cm rad/fan. Even if it "only" got 1300MHz for 980Ti that's still a 30% boost over stock 1000MHz but maybe 1500MHz is actually possible?

So.. I'll wait a bit longer thanks.

This really seems like a great card! Those frame charts show fantastic improvements over the 980. I was expecting more of a middle-ground between the Titan X and the 980 but it practically matched the Titan X's performance spot-on! All for $375 less.

Yea seems like the 980 just lost all relevance. I'm glad to see this though as I was debating whether to get a 980 or not. Guess we just solved that one.

This fills a much needed high end gap. To this point I've still been recommending the R9 295 for the very high end builds. This changes everything and two of these in SLI should finally be able to effectively drive 4K. I don't even consider the silly-priced Titans.

Your Witcher 3 bench are off. You didn't install the right 15.5 patch and used the leaked one.

My Crossfire setup with two 290x is averaging at 45FPS. with AA and Hair deactivated at 2160p. Of course, if you activate HairScam, then of course the AMD card crumble...

The worst is that it is not even good looking.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

If you don't have $1000 of discretionary income each year, you need a better job. Better question would be, what adult doesn't have $1000 for a graphics card and a monitor?

If you put it that way it is a fair point.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

no it is not and he is a very rude person.

not all people live in USA and have good salaries.

People in Romania Graduated from uni for example earn around 500 euro per month only. and is ALL spent on living and eating and clothes and rent , at the end of the month nothing remains.

in places like India or Ukraine or Africa or Asia is even lower.

and those work 10 times harder than any one in USA ... but live in a Poor country.

you are selfish and rude people. very rude !

xchoice

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I'm writing this as seriously as I can, not being a fanboy: What is the purpose of the Titan X at this point? It lost its DP performance that made it a fantastic workstation-gaming hybrid. Also, it really sucks for people who bought a Titan X just a little over a month ago? That's ~$350 down the drain pretty much. Yea the Titan X has all that extra VRAM, but for what? 3 4K displays maybe, at which point a 980ti SLI would probably lose by about ~5% due to a few less CUDA cores.

Again though, for most customers, the 980ti is the obvious choice. I just feel like nVidia totally screwed over most of their Titan X customers now. And why? Well, I really think the 980ti will be the cheaper answer to AMD's Fury or whatever Fiji will be called, Really interested to see how it will do. If Fiji beats the Titan X/980ti, it's rumored $800 price point would make the 980ti a somewhat compelling offer depending on how well it does.

In the end, I'm loving this competition!

Well, back in the 78ti and original titan, titan buyers also felt screwed....... but i agree with you that nvidia screwed the titan scything its fp64 performance, which was the absolutely only point of it. Now nVidia turned it to its most top end gaming card instead....... bs -_-

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

they are for gaming too but for rich gamers.

you will need 12GB of RAM when using 3 monitors you know ... and 4 titan X in SLI to drive 3x 4k monitors !

back in the days of Titan Black , I knew some one using 4X of them in SLI for his 3 monitors of 2560x1600 each resolution. 7680x1600 or 2560x 4800 total !!!

and games needed 5.8GB something RAM .. so the only solution for him was the 6GB Titans.

today he is selling his machine to make the Titan X monster and 3x4K monitors 3x 3840x2160 11520x2160 or 3840x6480 total !!!

adpo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I was planning on building a Titan X SLI build for some opencl based rendering work in the upcoming months, this card just opened up room for a third card in the budget :D

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Isnt Nvidia launching a GPU series with HBM next year? Might as well wait an extra year to see what that brings to the table. AMD is set to launch their next series at E3 which is rumored to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.