Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti

nuggetwarhammer

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
I have had this card for about a year now with no problems. Today during game computer crashed (black screen but still had sound) Re-booted but when starting Windows 10 got four columns of horizontal lines. It then re-booted itself and came up the same. after a couple of times it decided that it needed a repair after which I managed to get logged in in safe mode. I disabled the card in device manager and managed to re-boot into normal Windows. Did a complete new install of Nvidia drivers and re-started only to have the same problem. Am now running with the card disabled in Device Manager but have started to get lines of coloured pixels across the screen. Any ideas how I can fix this.

Solution
Simple steps before abandoning all hope. Take the card out of the computer, give it a good dusting, and then put it back in. You would be surprised how often the repeated heat cycles and weight of the card can cause them to slip out of their slot just enough.

For more extreme cases of sag and slot misalignment you can also loosen the motherboard, install the card so it is as perpendicular as possible, and then tighten the motherboard back down.

Also, check the health of your power supply. It might be enough to run the computer without the GPU and then have a voltage drop under load.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Simple steps before abandoning all hope. Take the card out of the computer, give it a good dusting, and then put it back in. You would be surprised how often the repeated heat cycles and weight of the card can cause them to slip out of their slot just enough.

For more extreme cases of sag and slot misalignment you can also loosen the motherboard, install the card so it is as perpendicular as possible, and then tighten the motherboard back down.

Also, check the health of your power supply. It might be enough to run the computer without the GPU and then have a voltage drop under load.

Solution

nuggetwarhammer

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

Friend came in and checked graphics card and confirmed it was dying. Bought new card and now working fine.

Thanks for advice.