nVidia GeForce LUT

Gregow

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
I've been trying to find an answer to this, but there's seems to be very little information out there and different theories...

The question itself is rather simple:

If I set my GTX 970 to 10 bits per channel on DisplayPort, or 12 bits per channel on HDMI, do I get an 8 bit LUT with 10 or 12 bit precision? And, is there any dithering involved?

Let's assume we have an 8 bit display (with 10 bit LUT, if that should matter). So, no 10 bit output from the display (that's another ball game, and I believe nVidia has enabled 10-bit output for some applications on the GeForce cards).

I've seen some claims that nVidia is lagging way behind AMD here, by running 8 bits without dithering. With the current drivers however it seems GeForce cards can get 10 or 12 bit precision through DisplayPort or HDMI, though there's still no dithering used. I don't know how reliable that information is though.

Maybe someone here knows how it works?

Gregow

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
That's a whole different thing. I'm not talking about 10 bit output from the display, but the precision of the LUT.
The LUT can be 8 bit calculated with 10 bit precision. Meaning, it calculates 1024 levels that gets mapped to the 256 level output of the graphics card. Similarly many displays have a 10 (or more) bit internal LUT that gives an 8 bit output. This reduces banding and posterization.