Question Nvidia GeForce MX150 Problem ??

bhdavis2

Honorable
Apr 2, 2018
I have an Asus X510UNR laptop with:

I7-8550U cpu
16 GB ram
Intel UHD GPU
Nvidia GeForce MX150 GPU

My problem is that when using AutoCAD LT 2008 all my curved components draw very slowly with a jerky motion. This occurs both when drawing, copy/pasting and refreshing the components. The more curved components on the screen the worse the copy/paste and refresh timing becomes........to the point that it takes seconds to redraw the components in their new locations (copy/paste for example).

In TASK MANAGER, PERFORMANCE both the Intel and GeForce GPU processors are shown. I have the GeForce set as the DEFAULT processor and when I right click on the AutoCAD start up desktop icon it shows the GeForce as the default startup processor for the global and program settings.

However in the TASK MANAGER, PERFORMANCE window when I draw in AutoCAD I get percentage of processor use ONLY in the Intel processor graph. The GeForce percentage remains at 0%.

If I disable the Intel processor in DEVICE MANAGER the AutoCAD problem goes away but I still get 0% usage on the GeForce graph in the PERFORMANCE window..........plus DISPLAY SETTINGS no longer sees my desktop monitor that I usually use instead of the laptop screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
BH

Last edited:

bhdavis2

Honorable
Apr 2, 2018
Further investigation has discovered that when I disable the Intel UHD gpu that the laptop reverts to the Microsoft basic display driver. It would appear that the GeForce MX150 is NEVER being used by the laptop.

Also the GeForce control panel only shows 3D settings. I've done an uninstall (DDU software) and fresh reinstall and the result is the same.

So I'm beginning to wonder if there is a hardware problem with the GeForce MX150. This particular laptop has be a problematic pain in the butt since day one.

Thanks,
BH

bhdavis2

Honorable
Apr 2, 2018
Continuing to dig into this I found a comment elsewhere that says when there is an embedded Intel gpu the secondary high end gpu can't be independently accessed. It is only there to handle high end gaming graphics that are beyond the capability of the Intel UHD gpu and will automatically kick in when needed.

So is this why there are only 3D settings in the GeForce control panel? And why disabling the Intel UHD takes me back to the basic gpu in the system instead of the GeForce? This seems to make sense and I'm just stuck with lousy AutoCAD performance unless I only use that program on the laptop screen and revert to the basic gpu when doing so.

Thanks,
BH