News Nvidia GeForce Now Streaming Service Loses Another Game: The Long Dark

theseconddavid

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Just another reminder that game developers don't think the purchase of a game entitles you to own it. Anyone who buys a copy of something should be able to run it on any platform available to run it. If it requires a server to run, the server software should be distributed to the owners of the software should the company ever stop providing them. That's property rights 101. I buy something, it is mine to do with as I see fit, as long as that isn't pirating copyrighted material and selling it or giving it away.

Just another reminder that game developers don't think the purchase of a game entitles you to own it. Anyone who buys a copy of something should be able to run it on any platform available to run it. If it requires a server to run, the server software should be distributed to the owners of the software should the company ever stop providing them. That's property rights 101. I buy something, it is mine to do with as I see fit, as long as that isn't pirating copyrighted material and selling it or giving it away.

I'm not sure it's this at all. As a game developer, you might not want to put your game on a streaming platform that introduces lag, and compression artifacts. It might make your studio look bad, when in fact it's the streaming service's fault. Game studios test their games on stand alone platforms and servers THEY control. It might open then to support and quality issues they didn't have to deal with before, that are outside their control.

theseconddavid

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
If we were talking console only, you may have a point. However, there is almost no one running the exact same setup on PC games. If I can run crysis on a toaster, I should be able to with no developer concern on if it looks or plays like crap.

gamergeek

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I'm not sure it's this at all. As a game developer, you might not want to put your game on a streaming platform that introduces lag, and compression artifacts. It might make your studio look bad, when in fact it's the streaming service's fault. Game studios test their games on stand alone platforms and servers THEY control. It might open then to support and quality issues they didn't have to deal with before, that are outside their control.

Do they also ban people from using their game if their PCs dont meet the minimum requirements?
There are people out there that play games on piss poor PCs and deal with the horrible graphics and performance that comes with that. I don't know how they manage but they do. Under your purposed reasoning they should be banned from doing so.

TRENDING THREADS