[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 ti - ANY game I play crashes

Sep 27, 2021
Hi so I've run into a tonne of issues with my build so I'll give the full run down of what has happened and where I currently am at in this hell hole of a build.

About a week ago I finished the build, made sure to be anti static safe throughout the build. Pc booted fine to the BIOS first time. Decided it was time to add my old ssds and harddrives from my old pc to boot windows from (didnt want to pay for another OS) Computer did not like that and proceeded to start an eternal blue screen loop whenever I tried to repair the system files through windows troubleshooting. Had enough of the issues so decided to do a fresh install of windows on a formatted ssd, started by doing a clean reset by taking out the motherboard battery completely resetting the factory bios. Ok moving on to installing the new OS, are now met with an windows installation error 0xc0000005. Oh boy, started troubleshooting with reformatting the ssds, did nothing, so decided to reseat the ram from the A2 B2 slots (Standard installation for dual channel ram) to the A1 slot only running off of one ram stick only. Windows installed fine and booted to the desktop yay! Windows blue screens multiple times again, oh god why. Fixed this by running a SFC scan of the system files from the CMD prompt, it found multiple corrupt system files, oh goody, it proceeds to repair them and I restart. From this point I haven't blue screened again, alrrrright are we finally out of the woods with this crap, I thought so. I installed my other ram stick into the B1 slot to run dual channel with the A1 (I know A1 B1 dual channel isn't usually how to do it but its working and have done this on other systems before fine.) Windows boots fine, everything seems good, so relieved I start downloading steam and what not to get started on gaming (Downloading latest drivers etc.) I get around to launching Cyberpunk, a good game to test this beast on, Game crashes after 10mins into the intro. Huh maybe its just cyberpunk being cyberpunk, decided to try rainbow six siege, same thing 10minutes in game crashes. Kept trying until when the game crashed the ENTIRE system crashes. Here we go again, thinking it might be a memory thing again I ran windows memory diagnostic, comes up clean. Not that so I did some searching, found a tonne of other people with the latest graphics card series experiencing similar game/system crashes. Found a 'solution' Switching the BIOS PCI settings from AUTO to Gen 3 (Even though its a Gen 4 card on a Gen 4 compatible motherboard, more CONFUSION) However this solved my system crashing and rebooting from game crashes, (Which showed a Kernal-Power Event 41 each time I crashed) I played cyberpunk for an hour after that and it seemed fine, slept on it and tried playing some games again the following day, MORE CRASHES. In the majority of games I play, even pacify crashes and a potato computer can run it. At this point the computer is a glorified web browser.

Update: Dead ram stick

Specs:
Asus Prime Z590-A ATX Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 ti
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz CL18 1.2v RAM
Intel i7 11700k
Crucial 500gb ssd
Samsung 2tb ssd
PSU 850w 80+ Gold cert Corsair RM850

Last edited:
Solution
If you don't mind to clean install windows, try this:
- During these steps don't connect internet to the pc

- Re arrange the pci power cable as what i mentioned in the end of the post

- Update your mobo bios to the latest, go back to bios and load optimized then save and shut down your pc

- Download windows .iso in another device, using google chrome or internet download manager

- Use rufus to burn the ISO to the flashdrive, and proceed installing windows

- Use custom when you're about to install windows, and delete the partition that have windows in it, click on that partition again and proceed installing (it should be an unpartitioned space)

- after it installed, install Chipset driver and serial io driver...
Hi so I've run into a tonne of issues with my build so I'll give the full run down of what has happened and where I currently am at in this hell hole of a build.

About a week ago I finished the build, made sure to be anti static safe throughout the build. Pc booted fine to the BIOS first time. Decided it was time to add my old ssds and harddrives from my old pc to boot windows from (didnt want to pay for another OS) Computer did not like that and proceeded to start an eternal blue screen loop whenever I tried to repair the system files through windows troubleshooting. Had enough of the issues so decided to do a fresh install of windows on a formatted ssd, started by doing a clean reset by taking out the motherboard battery completely resetting the factory bios. Ok moving on to installing the new OS, are now met with an windows installation error 0xc0000005. Oh boy, started troubleshooting with reformatting the ssds, did nothing, so decided to reseat the ram from the A2 B2 slots (Standard installation for dual channel ram) to the A1 slot only running off of one ram stick only. Windows installed fine and booted to the desktop yay! Windows blue screens multiple times again, oh god why. Fixed this by running a SFC scan of the system files from the CMD prompt, it found multiple corrupt system files, oh goody, it proceeds to repair them and I restart. From this point I haven't blue screened again, alrrrright are we finally out of the woods with this crap, I thought so. I installed my other ram stick into the B1 slot to run dual channel with the A1 (I know A1 B1 dual channel isn't usually how to do it but its working and have done this on other systems before fine.) Windows boots fine, everything seems good, so relieved I start downloading steam and what not to get started on gaming (Downloading latest drivers etc.) I get around to launching Cyberpunk, a good game to test this beast on, Game crashes after 10mins into the intro. Huh maybe its just cyberpunk being cyberpunk, decided to try rainbow six siege, same thing 10minutes in game crashes. Kept trying until when the game crashed the ENTIRE system crashes. Here we go again, thinking it might be a memory thing again I ran windows memory diagnostic, comes up clean. Not that so I did some searching, found a tonne of other people with the latest graphics card series experiencing similar game/system crashes. Found a 'solution' Switching the BIOS PCI settings from AUTO to Gen 3 (Even though its a Gen 4 card on a Gen 4 compatible motherboard, more CONFUSION) However this solved my system crashing and rebooting from game crashes, (Which showed a Kernal-Power Event 41 each time I crashed) I played cyberpunk for an hour after that and it seemed fine, slept on it and tried playing some games again the following day, MORE CRASHES. In the majority of games I play, even pacify crashes and a potato computer can run it. At this point the computer is a glorified web browser.

I'm just tired and disappointed after days of troubleshooting and sinking so much of my savings into building this computer, All I want to do is chill out and play some games..

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm so lost at this point

Specs:
Asus Prime Z590-A ATX Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 ti
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz CL18 1.2v RAM
Intel i7 11700k
Crucial 500gb ssd
Samsung 2tb ssd
PSU 850w 80+ Gold cert Corsair RM850

- Update your mobo bios to the latest, go back to bios and load optimized then save and shut down your pc

- Download windows .iso in another device, using google chrome or internet download manager

- Use custom when you're about to install windows, and delete the partition that have windows in it, click on that partition again and proceed installing (it should be an unpartitioned space)

- after it installed, install Chipset driver and serial io driver, reboot, and you're free to install the latest nvidia driver and connect to internet.

- check windows update and see if there is any update.

*you could download and unzip both chipset driver and io driver on another pc, and copy them to the flashdrive once the rufus already ended the progress on making bootable installation, so that when you already installed windows you could just proceed installing chipset then io driver, making the steps more simple :D Also you could install windows just using 1 ram like what you mentioned above, after that you could replug all the ram back on the slots.

Otherwise, try this step by step (Read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset (if this were none than skip this one):
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, set to pcie 3.0, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver and serial io driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Reactions: Bouf
Failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.
What is the make/model of your case ?
What is the cooler?
What is the fan arrangement?

Run HWmonitor or such and look at the minimum and maximum temperatures.
If idle is more than 10-15c. over ambient, the cooler is not mounted well.
If the max is ever 100c. you have throttled.

Sep 27, 2021
Failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.
What is the make/model of your case ?
What is the cooler?
What is the fan arrangement?

Run HWmonitor or such and look at the minimum and maximum temperatures.
If idle is more than 10-15c. over ambient, the cooler is not mounted well.
If the max is ever 100c. you have throttled.

No issue with the temperatures, found the issue though, one stick of ram was dead/ partially damaged. Explains why games would run for a bit then die, also the windows errors. Thanks for the input though ^^

Sep 27, 2021

- after it installed, install Chipset driver and serial io driver, reboot, and you're free to install the latest nvidia driver and connect to internet.

- check windows update and see if there is any update.

*you could download and unzip both chipset driver and io driver on another pc, and copy them to the flashdrive once the rufus already ended the progress on making bootable installation, so that when you already installed windows you could just proceed installing chipset then io driver, making the steps more simple :D Also you could install windows just using 1 ram like what you mentioned above, after that you could replug all the ram back on the slots.

Otherwise, try this step by step (Read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset (if this were none than skip this one):
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, set to pcie 3.0, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver and serial io driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
Was a ram issue, one of my sticks are dead. Possible static damage somewhere along the line, im not too sure. Thanks for the attempt at helping me, much appreciated friend. Glad I rechecked ram again before going through with this haha ^^

Solution