News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GPU Die and Mining Performance Exposed in New Leak

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I remember a time when game benchmarks were the priority for unreleased GPUs. What a sad state of the market that mining performance is the priority and not a single game is checked.

Good job, Nvidia, Asus, MSI, Zotac, EVGA, PNY, Gigabyte, AMD, Sapphire, Asrock, and friends -- a slow clap for you all.

I remember a time when game benchmarks were the priority for unreleased GPUs. What a sad state of the market that mining performance is the priority and not a single game is checked.

Good job, Nvidia, Asus, MSI, Zotac, EVGA, PNY, Gigabyte, AMD, Sapphire, Asrock, and friends -- a slow clap for you all.
If the person who got a hold of the sample was a miner, then that's all they'll care about.

The story would be different if a gamer got their hands on it.

I even don't care about GPU performance news anymore. While all new batches goes directly to mining farms and remaining scraps are sold for triple prices, they are not interesting for me.

Well, a time of for software driven graphics renaissance is coming. I hope it will cause some good adventure games in future.

Last edited:

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I still think miners will find a way around this, but hopefully it will take a while so we get some GPUs on the market that aren't 3x the MSRP because every miner on the planet is buying them in bulk.

InvalidError

Titan
I still think miners will find a way around this
Well, this early model found itself in the wild and was made to work. Depending on how badly Nvidia has half-assed the mining throttling, it could be as simple as flashing GPUs with the leak card's firmware and drivers patched to work with it. I doubt Nvidia is putting much actual effort in preventing mining, otherwise it would be working on effective detection algorithms for the top-10 coins instead of only the #1 alt-coin.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

You dont need gaming benchmarks to know its perofrmance... it will be just slightly slower than 3090.. very small difference...

Reactions: phenomiix6

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Well, this early model found itself in the wild and was made to work. Depending on how badly Nvidia has half-assed the mining throttling, it could be as simple as flashing GPUs with the leak card's firmware and drivers patched to work with it. I doubt Nvidia is putting much actual effort in preventing mining, otherwise it would be working on effective detection algorithms for the top-10 coins instead of only the #1 alt-coin.
Getting an effective mining limiter on their gaming cards could make Nvidia millions, so I bet they very much care to get this working properly. We already know about the $30 million contract Nvidia signed with Hut 8. Does Nvidia want to continue selling gaming GPU's at contract prices to AIB's and watch them rake in the profits selling to miners at inflated prices, or do they want to cripple the mining performance of gaming cards sold to AIB's and negotiate more multi million dollar contracts for themselves selling mining cards at inflated prices with the bonus of cutting out many of the middle men?

allac666

Reputable
Mar 18, 2018
Getting an effective mining limiter on their gaming cards could make Nvidia millions, so I bet they very much care to get this working properly. We already know about the $30 million contract Nvidia signed with Hut 8. Does Nvidia want to continue selling gaming GPU's at contract prices to AIB's and watch them rake in the profits selling to miners at inflated prices, or do they want to cripple the mining performance of gaming cards sold to AIB's and negotiate more multi million dollar contracts for themselves selling mining cards at inflated prices with the bonus of cutting out many of the middle men?
The problem is not lack of buyers, it's lack of supply - Nvidia can easily sell I every chip they make 5 times over! All they're doing atm is splitting there already meagre supply over more and more models in two distinct product lines. Supply in Australia is effectively zero, and prices from legit retailers are up 40—50% from September. Nvidia will just place what they make in the lines with the best margins unt supply ramps up

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
And being stuck with a huge pile of useless GPUs if the crypto market crashes again could cost them billions.
Theoretically it could cost them trillions. In reality, there is no way they could misjudge by billions. So, no, it could not cost them that much. Just like after the last crash, Nvidia will just offload excess inventory onto AIB's for higher priority in new GPU queues and bigger allotments. Nvidia won't be selling any of those GPU's at a loss. In the real world, it isn't going to cost them anything except maybe margins.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
In reality, there is no way they could misjudge by billions.
It took two years for the market to finish absorbing surplus RX470-590 after the first crypto crash with those cards retailing at ~$120 new with a bundled game. That's two years of sales of new GPUs getting undermined by loss-leading old stock ($120 barely pays for the 8GB of GDDR5 on the boards) making new GPUs look like they have horrible value per dollar. Mistakes of that magnitude aren't cheap.

sreams

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
If NVidia's drivers work with a card they do not recognize, does that mean that simply using an older driver (one that doesn't recognize any 3080 ti) would circumvent the mining limiter?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
It took two years for the market to finish absorbing surplus RX470-590 after the first crypto crash with those cards retailing at ~$120 new with a bundled game. That's two years of sales of new GPUs getting undermined by loss-leading old stock ($120 barely pays for the 8GB of GDDR5 on the boards) making new GPUs look like they have horrible value per dollar. Mistakes of that magnitude aren't cheap.
I'm fairly certain Nvidia didn't lose any money from that since they don't sell any of those GPU's. Was that really 2 years of clearing out stock, or more that AMD just had nothing newer/better to sell?