News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition Review: Heir to the Titan Throne

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 21, 2018
Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition takes the crown as the fastest GPU around, but at twice the price of an RTX 3090. It's blazingly fast, comes with gobs of memory, and the Founders Edition is absolutely massive … and most gamers don't need it. We discuss price, performance, availability, power, and more in our in-depth review.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition Review: Heir to the Titan Throne : Read more

Thomas Wells

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Literally gone in 5 seconds. None available except for the bots and no nvidia did not have any kind of bot protection THEY DO NOT CARE!

Sep 24, 2020
Its such a good product that at 9AM, Newegg's website crashed. 901, added a Gigabyte card to cart, click the cart to see it was removed due to availability. Had a chance to do this 3 times, same result. Website crashed again. Once back online everything was out of stock....

NVidia's own website redirected at 9AM from the US website to the Global website for 1399 Euros. OOS as well. EVGA crashing.

Stop the BOTS.....

m3city

Reputable
Sep 17, 2020
Twice the price of 5700xt for 15% more fps? (based on Metro benchmark, others probably are spread) And with that power footprint? Come on. This card is powerful, I admit. But it's a joke in term of performance advance vs previous generation.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
From the conclusion:

The RTX 3070 should still be plenty fast for 1440p gaming, and more than fast enough for 1080p — just like the RTX 2080 Ti. Nvidia says it will perform "better than the 2080 Ti," though we take that marketing-speak with a scoop of salt. Out of all the benchmarks we ran, there was only one (Doom Eternal) where the 3090 actually doubled the 2080's performance. Anyway, saving $200 and buying a 3070 could make a lot of sense. It's interesting to note that the RTX 3070 is a substantial step down from the RTX 3090, however. The 3090 has 48% more GPU, RT, and Tensor cores, it has 20% more memory, and the memory is clocked 36% higher. That's a big enough gap that we could see an RTX 3070 Ti down the road, but at what price? Alternatively, wait and see what AMD's Navi 2x / RX 6000 GPUs can do, which we'll hear about more on October 28.

Shouldn't every one of those 3090's be replaced with 3080? Also, 10GB on the 3080 is 25% more memory than 8GB on the 3070, or the 3070 has 20% less than the 3080.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For all intents and purposes, the 3090 is a card for people with more money than sense.
-It's not exactly a workstation card; Geforce V Quadro driver support
-It's not exactly a gaming card, but was marketed as one, so no choice but to accept that, I guess. Nvidia took the GA 102 die and gave it 'the works'.

I love those kinds of people, because they'll provide me a good laugh; 'a fool and his money are soon parted'?
Unfortunately they also give companies a reason to make more products like this down the line. I don't care though :kikou:

Reactions: RodroX

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
For all intents and purposes, the 3090 is a card for people with more money than sense.
-It's not exactly a workstation card; Geforce V Quadro driver support
-It's not exactly a gaming card, but was marketed as one, so no choice but to accept that, I guess. Nvidia took the GA 102 die and gave it 'the works'.

I love those kinds of people, because they'll provide me a good laugh; 'a fool and his money are soon parted'?
Unfortunately they also give companies a reason to make more products like this down the line. I don't care though :kikou:
Or they're just rich. There are over 18 million millionaires in the US alone. I don't understand why people care so much about what others choose to spend their money on.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Or they're just rich. There are over 18 million millionaires in the US alone. I don't understand why people care so much about what others choose to spend their money on.
IDK either, but some of them do come to this site or others, only to get slapped in the face by reality.
When one is looking to spend that kind of money, they should only care about making themselves happy. Once they stop doing that...

I would like to see it at 8K.

But before you go "but there are no 8K monitors!": Use DSR.
But there are 8K TVs out there?

DSR isn't the same thing as native 8K though? GN Steve covered this in their review, so - IDK.

Jim90

Distinguished
The small performance difference between a 3080 and 3090, at double the price, tells us one thing - Nvidia are in trouble. Nvidia have nothing to place between the two...where - exactly - would a 3080 20GB, or, 3080Ti perform??? - that 'expected' increase sits exactly at (and past) that taken by the 3090. A bit of an own goal, Nvidia!!!
--> To re-iterate, Nvidia know what RDNA2 is about to do to them.

Jim90

Distinguished
How about, no matter how hard the vast majority of the planet's population work, they will never, ever, EVER!! have the good luck to be in a position to call themselves 'millionaires'. Think of all the jobs / professions where there will be NO POSSIBLE way to to even approach anything above a minimal level of comfort. When they see others commenting about how easy it is for them to purchase luxury what do YOU think will be running through their heads - through no fault of their own??
It's not so much that folk 'care' how affluent others are, it's that never-ending indirect reminder of the blatant fact that they will NEVER be in that position...no matter how hard they work. Take some time and think about this - is it fair that others can afford through nothing more than luck? Given all the jobs in the world that need to be done, how do you resolve this 'little' issue?

Reactions: Phaaze88 and King_V

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
How about, no matter how hard the vast majority of the planet's population work, they will never, ever, EVER!! have the good luck to be in a position to call themselves 'millionaires'. Think of all the jobs / professions where there will be NO POSSIBLE way to to even approach anything above a minimal level of comfort. When they see others commenting about how easy it is for them to purchase luxury what do YOU think will be running through their heads - through no fault of their own??
It's not so much that folk 'care' how affluent others are, it's that never-ending indirect reminder of the blatant fact that they will NEVER be in that position...no matter how hard they work. Take some time and think about this - is it fair that others can afford through nothing more than luck? Given all the jobs in the world that need to be done, how do you resolve this 'little' issue?
You don't need to be a millionaire to afford a $1500 video card. I'm not a millionaire, and I don't feel any resentment towards people who are. Good for them. Like I said I don't understand the current culture of trying to tear down people who have achieved something you couldn't. Why waste time and energy being so bitter because they made it and you didn't? It's not going to change anything, so concentrate on the things that are important to you. Getting pissed because you can't afford the highest end gaming video card and someone else can? First world problems.

Gussv

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
Hello. Need the help of the experts here.

I would like to buy a graphics card for my nephew who's studying Mechanical Engineering, so I understand I need to buy something from the Quadro line. Naturally, he does play games also (albeit sim racing mostly), so I'm wondering... can these tasks run at the same time or you need a 2nd card for CAD work?

I was thinking that maybe neural network training could be done concurrently with gaming (since I believe the tensor cores are used for such tasks), whereas CAD uses the same resources as gaming? But I could be wrong about that too. :confused_old:

Anyway, if anyone has any experience on all this stuff and can help out, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Last edited:

Gussv

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
The small performance difference between a 3080 and 3090, at double the price, tells us one thing - Nvidia are in trouble. Nvidia have nothing to place between the two...where - exactly - would a 3080 20GB, or, 3080Ti perform??? - that 'expected' increase sits exactly at (and past) that taken by the 3090. A bit of an own goal, Nvidia!!!
Nah, they wanna see how the AMD game plays out and then a full line of ti cards will follow suit.

hannibal

Distinguished

3080 20gb is as fast or as slow as 3080 10Gb.
3080ti most likely is cut down 3090. Keep the memory buss and you get 12gb of ram. Cut down some CUs and you get a card that is tiny bit faster than 3080, has more memory but is not as fast as 3090...

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Nah, they wanna see how the AMD game plays out and then a full line of ti cards will follow suit.
As Jim90 mentioned, there's no were to go on the performance front. The performance difference between the 3080 and 3090 is already pretty underwhelming in gaming, anything put between those 2 isn't suddenly going to become exciting. The full GA102 die has only 2.5% more SM's than a 3090, so Nvidia can't respond with anything tangibly faster than a 3090. I don't really see how this is a problem for gamers though, Nvidia didn't leave any room to milk us this time. How is that a bad thing? Makes you wonder what they will do for a refresh next year.

Reactions: spentshells

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Huh, how does this indicate they're in trouble from AMD? This looks more or less the same as what they've been doing since the 700 series and the first Titan. They release a top tier 'prosumer' card that costs 50-100% more than their top tier gaming card, while being <=15% faster in gaming and having extra VRAM that a gamer will probably never use. In this case the prosumer card isn't named Titan (although Jensen did refer to it as a Titan successor IIRC), and the top tier gaming card is an X80 rather than X80 Ti, but the cards are fulfilling the same roles.

Even if they were unable/unwilling to release any new cards (i.e. Tis/Supers) to compete with AMD, they still have the option to tweak pricing if required to stay competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
As Jim90 mentioned, there's no were to go on the performance front. The performance difference between the 3080 and 3090 is already pretty underwhelming in gaming, anything put between those 2 isn't suddenly going to become exciting. The full GA102 die has only 2.5% more SM's than a 3090, so Nvidia can't respond with anything tangibly faster than a 3090. I don't really see how this is a problem for gamers though, Nvidia didn't leave any room to milk us this time. How is that a bad thing? Makes you wonder what they will do for a refresh next year.
They could release a 3080 Ti (or Super, whatever) that approximately takes the place of a 3090 in performance (except maybe only 12GB of VRAM), but at a lower price point. Then possibly release a fully enabled GA102 as a 3090 Ti/Super or Titan with 24GB at a similar price to the 3090 or higher. Similar to what they did with 700 series (Titan -> 780 Ti -> Titan Black) and 10 series (Titan X -> 1080 Ti -> Titan Xp). Even if the new flagship isn't noticeably faster in gaming, I'm not sure that it'd matter: the target audience is people who either need the extra VRAM and/or will pay any price simply to have the "best". It wouldn't be the first Titan they released that didn't game any better than the next card down, and perf/$ usually tanks as you get to the very high end in general.

Obviously I have no idea if they'll do any of that. But it seems like there are some plausible ways for them to "milk us" in the future if they want to :)

Last edited: