News Nvidia GeForce RTX 40 ‘Ada’ GPUs Reportedly Shun PCIe 5.0 Support

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There was already a rumor that the 3090TI PCB was compatible with the next gen chips. So given that it’s 4.0 and that or a similar PCB would be used with the next gen initial halo card it’s not really that much of a stretch.

Reactions: artk2219

InvalidError

Titan
Retaining PCIe 4.0 support would also allow gamers to extract the best performance from the GeForce RTX 40 cards using currently-available platforms
Supporting PCIe 5.0 on the GPU wouldn't prevent this either, 4.0 platforms would still be able to run 4.0 speeds for the best performance they are capable of. All it would do is possibly allow even better performance on PCIe 5.0 platforms.

It may not be needed right now but I can easily imagine GPUs using 10+GB of system memory for DirectStorage asset caching and streaming a few years down the road, then having 50+GB/s of bandwidth to/from system memory may be handy for reducing noticeable asset pops.

Reactions: artk2219 and jp7189

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
Well, considering the RTX 3080 barely loses anything going to PCIe 3.0, sounds like a sensible move.

I disagree, you miss one important fact here.

Since there is no HEDT right now and i mean good HEDT that also does good gaming we stuck with whatever we have right now.
Basally because I have bunch of PCIe device my GPU is always running at x8 gen 4.0, its enough for my 3090, its like gen 3.0 x16, but for the newer gen GPU i expected Gen 5.0
Also because it will let us cut the PCIe Lanes even more, x4/x4/x4/x4 and all from CPU, PCIe Gen 5.0 x4 = PCIe Gen 4.0 x8 = PCIe Gen 3.0 x16 and its plenty

The main issue with Adler Lake is lack of PCIe bifurcation options, they only have 16 or x8/x8
Previous gen had much more options like x8/x4/x4
I hope the next gen CPU will allow to split the CPU PCIe lanes like previous gen CPU's,
This will be plenty enough for a high end mobo: Gen 5.0 x8/x4/x4, adding Gen 4.0 x4 from PCH and even adding 4 more gen 3.0 x1 lanes, will have insane amount of expansion options

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I expect bandwidth requirement to drop in the coming years as newer game engines take better advantage of sampler feedback to more intelligently stream assets into the GPU.

I disagree, you miss one important fact here.

Since there is no HEDT right now and i mean good HEDT that also does good gaming we stuck with whatever we have right now.
Basally because I have bunch of PCIe device my GPU is always running at x8 gen 4.0, its enough for my 3090, its like gen 3.0 x16, but for the newer gen GPU i expected Gen 5.0
Also because it will let us cut the PCIe Lanes even more, x4/x4/x4/x4 and all from CPU, PCIe Gen 5.0 x4 = PCIe Gen 4.0 x8 = PCIe Gen 3.0 x16 and its plenty

The main issue with Adler Lake is lack of PCIe bifurcation options, they only have 16 or x8/x8
Previous gen had much more options like x8/x4/x4
I hope the next gen CPU will allow to split the CPU PCIe lanes like previous gen CPU's,
This will be plenty enough for a high end mobo: Gen 5.0 x8/x4/x4, adding Gen 4.0 x4 from PCH and even adding 4 more gen 3.0 x1 lanes, will have insane amount of expansion options
Okay, let me add on something else: The RTX 3080 doesn't have much of a performance loss even at PCIe 2.0 x16 (https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pci-express-scaling/27.html) And even then, PCIe bandwidth is only a major concern if the card ran out of VRAM (like really ran out of VRAM), which isn't going to be a problem unless you play at 4K with the amount of VRAM you get on a flagship card.