News Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Really Could Pull 600W

zipspyder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
pDp318r.jpg

Reactions: King_V
At a time when most companies are being pressured to reduce their products power requirements this would be an ignorant step. I really believe we will see counties introducing power restrictions on home PC’s in the future. For example we already have a 900w limit on vacuum cleaners in the EU, a device that is probably used for less than 1hr week in the average home.

Reactions: closs.sebastien

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
in other news, nothing new

my xoc 3090 goes 600w+ if I use 8k, path RTX or no FPS limit in some heavy games

the 3x8pins will go more 700w+

it's good in winter for heating up the entire house floor with the heater at low/off in the house :)

At a time when most companies are being pressured to reduce their products power requirements this would be an ignorant step. I really believe we will see counties introducing power restrictions on home PC’s in the future. For example we already have a 900w limit on vacuum cleaners in the EU, a device that is probably used for less than 1hr week in the average home.
Yes, but how many house holds will have an RTX 4090?

Maybe we should ask sports car manufacturers that their cars can produce no more than 200HP.

closs.sebastien

Honorable
Feb 9, 2018
same as for the cars in France, governments should put bonus-malus payments to products which are too power-hungry.
As we are speaking more and more of green IT.. or green and eco-friendly way of life...
nvidia (and intel by the way) is going against the current.

In computer world, till these last years, the progress was : more computing power with smaller components, same or smaller price, and less energy.
since 5-8 years, this is finished...
Where is the prowess and the proud, when you make a 2x faster component, which is 2x bigger and 3x power-hungry? it is not a progress at all.

One fact is sure for now for me: even if the price can be affordable, I would avoid any components which are too power-hungry.

Yes, but how many house holds will have an RTX 4090?

Maybe we should ask sports car manufacturers that their cars can produce no more than 200HP.

The how many households shouldn’t matter, if all companies ignored some of their products it will contribute to a bigger problem, energy efficiency should be a goal of all products. It also suggests the whole range will likely be increasing the requirements of each tier.

I can see home computing may not currently be top of the list of products governments look at but I feel it’s going to happen. I expect home mining will push it up the list.

As for cars they were producing high bhp but very inefficient engines a long time before we as society became aware of the problems with the amount of power we use. They have been on a different journey of getting more efficiency in recent years which governments have implemented taxes and regulation to push designs in this direction. In the UK it is getting harder and harder to find ‘fun’ cars where efficiency is not a primary design feature. It seems wrong at this time for a company to increase the power requirements of its next generation products, it goes against what should be happening.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
The how many households shouldn’t matter, if all companies ignored some of their products it will contribute to a bigger problem, energy efficiency should be a goal of all products. It also suggests the whole range will likely be increasing the requirements of each tier.

I can see home computing may not currently be top of the list of products governments look at but I feel it’s going to happen. I expect home mining will push it up the list.

As for cars they were producing high bhp but very inefficient engines a long time before we as society became aware of the problems with the amount of power we use. They have been on a different journey of getting more efficiency in recent years which governments have implemented taxes and regulation to push designs in this direction. In the UK it is getting harder and harder to find ‘fun’ cars where efficiency is not a primary design feature. It seems wrong at this time for a company to increase the power requirements of its next generation products, it goes against what should be happening.
Where is all this knee-jerk FUD coming from. Switch on your left brain for a sec and you'd see a 75% increase in performance for 33% increase in power consumption. That is a huge INCREASE in efficiency. If someone did that for a car engine they'd be lauded as the savior of the planet.

And we'll see if that's actually the case or not.

When it comes to government policy, you have to consider what a blanket policy does when it only affects a tiny percentage of the population. To me it makes sense that vacuum cleaners should be limited in power, because chances are, most households have a vacuum cleaner. That's low hanging fruit to contain energy consumption. But if 0.00001% of the population contributes to an equal proportion of energy consumption when compared to the whole? You're likely to waste a bunch of time and energy getting this through and enforcing it.

However I will agree that desktop parts are often shipped with inefficiency thrown out the window. My RTX 2070 Super gets within spitting distance of its stock boost speed with a decent undervolt. My Ryzen 5600X is more efficient at base clock speeds when doing an all core workload than letting it turbo boost. But you can't fix these with a power consumption policy because power consumption is only part of the picture, as @jp7189 mentioned.

EDIT: TechPowerUp does do energy efficiency in their reviews:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition/36.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition/35.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3090-ti-suprim-x/39.html

Could we do better? Sure. Is it getting worse? I'd argue no.

(also if you want to point out AMD's higher efficiency, it's because they're on a smaller process node)

Last edited:
Where is all this knee-jerk FUD coming from. Switch on your left brain for a sec and you'd see a 75% increase in performance for 33% increase in power consumption. That is a huge INCREASE in efficiency. If someone did that for a car engine they'd be lauded as the savior of the planet.
Depends on your measure, I’m looking at the ability to deliver top tier gpu performance needing an increase of 33% power and that’s on top of the increase we saw with this current generation. Prior to the current generation of gpu’s we had seen either a decline or relatively flat power requirements for some generations. Now with 3000 and likely 4000 series we are seeing significant increases in the power requirement for a given tier. Maybe I shouldn’t have used the word efficiency, but the point is what is an acceptable amount of power to run games a 4K 120fp or 1080p 60fps and so on? The solution to running next generation games at the desired fps shouldn’t be dependent on increasing the power requirement.

I just feel if the industry doesn’t regulate itself someone else will do it for them. I hope I am wrong as I don’t want governments interfering with pc development but I have a concern that it’s going to happen.

As for cars, they are pushing forward, not a big leap but year on year they chip away at improvements. There has been notable improvements in the last 10 years.

When it comes to government policy, you have to consider what a blanket policy does when it only affects a tiny percentage of the population.

Im not saying I want governments to get involved, quite the opposite. We have all seen knee jerk reactions from governments. It just at a time when all other consumer tech is maintaining or reducing power requirements by going the other way I feel the gpu market could be making itself a target especially after how the environmental impact of mining has come up so recently, I know this isn’t just gpu’s but I am thinking average consumer.