[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce1660GTI noise when gaming

Jake_134

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
On certain games I have noticed a very loud whirring sound, it doesn't sound "damaging" so to speak, but it is very irritating.

I downloaded Precision 1X and manually started speeding the fan up, in game. This specific noise does not appear until the fans hit 70% or around 1800 RPM while playing a game.

I very gently propped the card up, very slightly and the noise goes completely.

OUTSIDE playing any game, i did the same manual speed test. I get the speed to 80% or 2110RPM and, although the fan is understandably loud, the noise I am trying to get, isn't there at all. I daren't go any higher but I am curious as to why that would happen?

what do I do here? There's clearly something going on with the GPU. I have ordered a special screwdriver kit so I can take the card out and put it back in.

A bit of background on me, I am pretty much useless with this sort of thing. I've managed to put a new hard drive in, I've taken my ps4 apart to clean it and to get a stuck disc out. Messing around any more than the basics and it's beyond me.

I didn't build this computer, it was prebuilt.

Solution
Likely coil whine. When the GPU is under a heavy load the power delivery is running at the max. Those little squares next to the GPU that aren't the ram are metal induction coils. The switching frequency of the voltage regulation modules is typically within the range of human hearing, and they can vibrate enough to be audible.

Some tricks are adding little globs of silicon caulking (mastik for you UK guys), or hot glue on the culprits. This can involve taking the card apart.

If propping it up works, might just need to do something more permanent. Might just be wiggling in the slot.

I know my old GTX980 sounded like a motorcycle when I played World of Warcraft, had to force the frame rate to 60FPS to avoid it leaking into my voice chat...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Likely coil whine. When the GPU is under a heavy load the power delivery is running at the max. Those little squares next to the GPU that aren't the ram are metal induction coils. The switching frequency of the voltage regulation modules is typically within the range of human hearing, and they can vibrate enough to be audible.

Some tricks are adding little globs of silicon caulking (mastik for you UK guys), or hot glue on the culprits. This can involve taking the card apart.

If propping it up works, might just need to do something more permanent. Might just be wiggling in the slot.

I know my old GTX980 sounded like a motorcycle when I played World of Warcraft, had to force the frame rate to 60FPS to avoid it leaking into my voice chat...

Solution

Jake_134

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

I am going to clean the PC up tonight and take the card out to give it a clean and see if that works.

My gut feeling is, when the fan gets to a certain RPM it is vibrating because its on their loose.

I will kick myself if tightening it works as its been like this for months now.