Nvidia gforce gts 450 or 2 SLI PNY Gforce 9800 gt ee 1g

badgerwitaspoon

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
ok this is my first time posting on this site but I have been going to this site to read the forms
but my question is.. is using 2 SLI PNY GeForce 9800 gt ee 1g or should I keep my single NVidia GeForce gts 450 I know the 9800 is only ddr3 and is slightly lower Performance then the gts 450
but I was seeing if I was linking the 2 9800's if that would over come the slight performance

this is what im running

Motherboard - G1.Sniper M3
CPU- Intel Core i5 3570k - cpu @ 3.4 and over clocked to 3.8
Memory - 8g
OS- Windows 7 Ultimate 64

any help would be very much appreciated

Solution
Pretty much every GPU can be "linked" in one way or another. For your Nvidia cards, you need a motherboard with SLI support. For AMD, you just need a motherboard with two PCI-e slots of x4 or greater.

If you have around $100 to spend, the R7 260X is probably your best option. If you have $150, you might be able to find an R9 270 for $20 more (which would be the best you can get for anything under $200).

if you really want to upgrade get something better than 450. GTS450 is DX11 based card while 9800GT only limited to DX10. also you were mentioning the EE edition which will be much slower than regular 9800GT. but the most important is nvidia already dropping their 300 series and below under legacy product. which means it will not going to have major driver update aside from bug fix from time to time. and driver support is very important in multi gpu configuration. so whatever possibilities you can think of using 9800GT SLI setup i advice you leave that and get better gpu instead.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
What's your budget? I think you should save up a bit more so you can actually make a meaningful upgrade to something like an R9 270. At this end of the GPU market, you'd be getting a dual GPU setup that wouldn't give you more performance than a single GPU could. Additionally, you would be getting the problems of SLI (more heat, more power draw, microstuttering, lack of support in new releases).

You might as well just invest in a decent card now instead of sinking money into small upgrades. In the end, you'll spend less money.

badgerwitaspoon

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
hey guys for all the posts sorry it took me abit in my area well I was just asking for the best option of the 2 that I have bc right now I was laid off and don't really have a budget as of now but I also am looking for some one ones that are good and affordable (with in reason) that I can use a crossfire or SIL with bc I do have a job lined up but it wont be a few weeks till I can buy something so im kind of still looking but just trying to work with what I have for now

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Fair enough! :)

What's the total you can spend?

badgerwitaspoon

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

I was checking out the ones u posted about and they seem really good but I didn't see anything about if they can be linked plus sadly I spent the last few days looking on the net for info about linked gpu but there is not a lot about there all I get is the pros and cons but when they talk about the pros its better performance but nothing about how it scaled or how its better

badgerwitaspoon

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

I was checking out the ones u posted about and they seem really good but I didn't see anything about if they can be linked plus sadly I spent the last few days looking on the net for info about linked gpu but there is not a lot about there all I get is the pros and cons but when they talk about the pros its better performance but nothing about how it scaled or how its better

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Pretty much every GPU can be "linked" in one way or another. For your Nvidia cards, you need a motherboard with SLI support. For AMD, you just need a motherboard with two PCI-e slots of x4 or greater.

If you have around $100 to spend, the R7 260X is probably your best option. If you have $150, you might be able to find an R9 270 for $20 more (which would be the best you can get for anything under $200).

Solution