Nvidia Gives Away Beefed-Up 'Titan V CEO Edition' GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroro

Splendid
Oh, Nvidia -Gave- away the Titan V. Past tense.

Meaning there is nothing for me to do here except wonder what a bunch of minimum wage call center employees, most of whom can no longer afford rent, are going to do with an AI focused graphics card. Because a solid 90% of the "silicon slopes" tech industry in Utah are just call centers that realized it's actually cheaper to operate in Utah than in India. And most of the remaining 10% is that giant NSA spy farm which was built to waste 1.2 Million gallons of water every day - which is particularly abusive considering Utah is a perpetually drought-ridden desert with very poor municipal infrastructure.

So, actually yeah. That was probably a conference mostly for teaching the NSA how to make AI that can spy on American citizens faster as it literally sucks the local residents dry. That seems like exactly the kind of thing that would bring joy to the CEO of Nvidia.
And that's totally not just me being jealous.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...crikey, 32 GB, on a Titan? Are they insane? Do they remember the days when the Maxwell Titan-X was every bit as good as the Quadro M6000 (and even better for Iray Rendering)?

OK here is shotgun, there is foot. aim and pull trigger.

(oh and where can I get one?)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is just a rebadged Quadro GV100, possibly with two 8-pin connectors (instead of Titan V's 6 + 8) to supply the additional power needed to reach slightly higher clock speeds. Maybe they also disabled the NVLink2.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/documents/quadro-volta-gv100-us-nv-623049-r10-hr.pdf

My take is that it's a publicity stunt which combines elements of Intel's i7-8086K SKU + giveaway, but at a much smaller scale.

I don't expect them to start selling theses, or else the only reason for someone to buy a Quadro GV100 would be if they plan to buy and NVLink a pair.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Dude, you have no clue.

CVPR is the most prestigious academic conference on machine vision and image processing. Leading academics and industry players travel from around the world to attend. It's held in a different city, each year.

http://cvpr2018.thecvf.com

And these weren't given out at random, but as an award:
Huang called up 12 teams of researchers and presented each with an NVIDIA Pioneer Award.

The awards went to those who’ve used NVIDIA’s AI platform to support great work featured in papers accepted by CVPR and other leading academic conferences.

What I don't understand is why - when something doesn't seem to add up - isn't your first instinct to click the link and read more? Because maybe what's messed up isn't reality, but just the understanding you inferred from a couple sentences in a short article?

With the information so readily available, this feels a lot like willful ignorance. Either way, it's not good.

Jun 24, 2018
* At least there are Volta GPU's entering the market, not the gaming market yet...Game developers and even Unreal engine needs to re-write all their code to fit the newer ray-trace capable GPU's PS5 will have Navi which can race trace.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

:lol: :lol:

Damn, and here I thought I was being creative and original!

Well, no, not really, but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS