News Nvidia Goes Nuts and Readies Two More GeForce GTX 1650 Variants

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, who the hell at Nvidia looked at the five different variants of the AMD RX 550, and decided "Yes!! This is the PERFECT system for product clarity! We should absolutely do the same thing!!!"

plissandro

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017
Maybe there's no 1650-grade card planned for Ampère so they flood the market with cheap 1650 variants because next gen will have 1660+ grade at the very bottom? Or maybe the 1650 is the best selling of the turing cards so they want to make sure people won't go for Radeon cards on that price point just because it sold out or something.

Co BIY

Splendid
I'd say that the 1650 is the Hot Dog of graphics cards.

The butcher can make them out of whatever they have and the crowd will buy them because they are fun and priced right.

Giroro

Splendid
It doesn't seem likely to me that the best they can do with a cut-down 2060 is a 1650, unless that is also an indicator that the whole GTX 16xx lineup might have TU106 as a possibility.

I could understand it if they wanted some entry-level quadro card with RTX or Tensor enabled, or maybe they are playing with the idea of some kind of RTX 2050/2030... But calling it a 1650 without also finding a way to squeeze more out of the silicon for a higher asking price? That isn't really passing the smell test to me.

But if it does exist at the same price point, that is at least possibly exciting for overclocking or maybe even firmware hacking.

InvalidError

Titan
It doesn't seem likely to me that the best they can do with a cut-down 2060 is a 1650
It may not be the best they can do but it could be the best they can sell - Nvidia may be running out of people willing to spend $300+ on GPUs and decided to burn its excess TU106/116 dies on GTX1650 SKUs instead of nuking 1660/2060 retail prices.

Kind of proves the point I was making months ago that GPUs only cost as much as they currently do because we have a stagnant duopoly situation where both vendors have implicitly agreed on arbitrarily inflated prices.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Nobody on their right mind is spending 300$ and up for a GPU that's going to be obsolete soon. So if they need to get a replacement, they get the "best bang for the buck" model. The 1650.

Also, i'm pretty sure nVidia will hike their prices again for Ampere, so lowering the price now for the RTX models would work against them.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Nvidia managed to really muscle in on AMD's dominance of the 1080p tier with the 1650 Super.

Even the 1650 GDDR6 (non-Super) is matched/slightly exceeded by the older and cheaper RX 570.

If the use of TU106/TU116 somehow boosts its performance enough, AND they keep it priced lower than the 1650 Super, down at RX 570 levels or below, then it'll sell well.

The confusing naming for multiple slightly different products might help them rake in a few bucks, but as things stand, the 1650 Super is the only place where Nvidia is outdoing the archaic AMD cards in price/performance. I'm curious to see what the performance of these new 1650 variants are like, and what steps, if any, Nvidia takes to make sure a customer will know what performance level/which 1650 they're getting.