Nvidia GPU Audio "Not Plugged In" + Geforce Experience Acting Weird

Aug 19, 2018
Having some weird audio issues through the hdmi on my graphics card, as well as weird install issues with nvidia geforce drivers. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or knows what to do here:

I have a htpc hooked up to my tv and I'm trying to use the tv speakers. When I try to select the audio device, the nvidia options don't show up. Neither of the options given outputs to the tv. I use the troubleshoot option in Windows settings (Win 10), which does show the nvidia options, but says they are unplugged. I've also tried to use the old control panel as well which shows the nvidia options for output but says "not plugged in" under each one.
The tv has speakers (have used with other devices), and the pc used to work with tv audio (although it has been unplugged for a while). I even tried using the last tv it worked with, to make sure my new one wasn't throwing it off.

I've messed around with a lot of driver stuff trying to get this to work. I fully updated Windows 10, to make sure there wasn't any issue there. I installed the latest drivers using geforce experience, or I thought I did. I realized that even though it will go through the entire installation process and seem to work, upon reboot it still says that I need to install the latest version (same version number as last time). I couldn't really tell if it was working so I uninstalled all the nvidia drivers on my computer and restarted them from scratch. Same issue. So I uninstalled again and then just manually downloaded the one driver for my card and didn't install geforce experience. Still didn't fix my audio issue. I saw somewhere that the intel display drivers can interfere with the nvidia ones so I tried unistalling that too, then uninstalling/reinstalling nvidia ones. Still hasn't worked. This is also really time consuming as, even though nvidia installers have no problem installing multiple drivers (display, audio, physx, etc) at once, they make you restart in between uninstalling each one (thank god for SSDs).

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do at this point. I'm hoping someone has some simple solution I've overlooked or at least something to try.

Any help is much appreciated!

specs:
nvidia 760
intel i5 4th gen
Windows 10 Home
(not sure if anything else is really important so ask if it is)

Aug 19, 2018

Only two things pop up in the windows 10 setting for audio: two identical listings for "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)". Neither of them output to the tv. If I go into the old control panel I can see the ones that show as "not plugged in" which include "Speakers", "Headphones", and four listings for "Nvidia Output". None of these show as connected, so I can't select them. Using the troubleshooter just ends in telling me that they are not plugged in, even though I'm plugged into a tv (with speakers) over hdmi.

Aug 19, 2018

No, there's an HDMI port on the GPU, and on the TV, and I'm connecting them with an HDMI cable. I've tried both using a different tv, and a different cable.