NVIDIA GPU not detected

_sellout

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
For the past 3 days I've been trying to deal with a rather strange issue: my GTX 970 crashed (to a black screen, audio kept playing, I've had crashes similar to this on multiple occasions) as I booted up Rocket League and I can't seem to get it "detected" anymore. The only way I can seem to get a working display is through connecting an HDMI to my motherboard, my GPU just gives a black screen.

I've spent probably a good 20 hours combined trying every supposed "fix" I could find, but to no avail. I'll list everything I tried below to rule out confusion
-Directly after the crash and once I noticed I wasn't getting any display from my GPU, I turned the pc off and waited a while as this fixed a similar issue I had a couple months back
-After about an hour of waiting didn't solve anything I figured that I could try connecting my HDMI to my motherboard, so I did that and it worked
-Once I booted up I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers through control panel and tried reinstalling them, only to get a "could not find compatible graphics hardware" (or something similar to that) error in the installer. No matter what I try, I cannot get past this point.
-Later on I used DDU to uninstall any other traces the drivers could've left behind both in safe mode and normal mode, which gave me the same error
-I went into device manager and found out that the GPU was not listed there. I enabled "show hidden devices" and there was something under "other devices" but that didn't turn out to be the GPU. I did however waste 2 hours trying to install the NVIDIA drivers for it manually though. (=>the GPU is not found in device manager, neither under Display Adapters or Other Devices, all I get is Intel HD Graphics 4600, which I disabled and uninstalled multiple times yet didn't do anything)
I repeated this process dozens of times and figured that all that was left to do was return to a restore point from a couple days earlier, something that I ended up interrupting after 14 hours of it "cleaning the registry".

Later, I tried:
-a bunch of methods from youtube videos that messed with .inf files, to no avail
-reseating the GPU in all three PCI slots, probably a total of 20 times, making sure there was nothing obstructing the slots, to no avail (the fans are spinning and there's a white LED that lights up though it just doesn't seem to get "recognized")
-updating any old drivers I could find, including the BIOS later on, to no avail
-turning integrated graphics on and off again (I have an MSI Z97 Gaming 5, which automatically disables IG once a GPU is detected though a manual option to only use IG is present as well), to no avail

To top it all off I reset Windows 10 to factory default, again, to no avail. This is where I give up. All that's really left to do now is take my pc to a friend and try connecting my GPU to his mobo and the other way around to check which one of the two is faulty as I'm almost completely certain it's a hardware issue, though It's weird to think that simply booting up a game for a couple of seconds would cause a component to die so I made this post to make sure I didn't miss a step (and I'd prefer to not have to bother anyone with this).

Some context about the "similar issues" I mentioned:
Ever since I built this pc (about a year and 4 months ago) I could at times get crashes to a black screen while playing graphically moderate to demanding games that involved me getting no display though sometimes the sound kept playing. This didn't happen very often and I attributed it to driver issues as I'm pretty sure my PSU (Corsair CS750M) is powerful enough for my setup. For some games like MGS V this happened solely when shadowplay was turned on, though for others, like Rocket League, this happened at startup. (I managed to get it running at one point by "optimizing" it to the lowest graphics settings in the Geforce tab, later reverting those changes back to "ultra" settings running borderless mode, which was what gave me the crash)

Specs:
GTX 970,
MSI Z97 Gaming 5,
Corsair CS750M,
Intel Core i7-4790k,
16GB DDR3 RAM,
2TB HDD (forgot the name),
Windows 10 64 bit

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to be as clear as possible as I've searched through probably every forum out there and everyone basically said the same thing. Hope you understand.

Solution
Have you overclocked the 970 at all?

I've encountered the 'black screen with audio' crash in the past on previous GPUs.

It was always either, unstable overclock or iffy PSU, but could also be a faulty GPU.

Your on the right track as far as trying the 970 in someone else's PC.

Only other thing I'd try at this point is set the mobo bios and 970 settings to default (if you haven't already)

blockhead78

Distinguished
Have you overclocked the 970 at all?

I've encountered the 'black screen with audio' crash in the past on previous GPUs.

It was always either, unstable overclock or iffy PSU, but could also be a faulty GPU.

Your on the right track as far as trying the 970 in someone else's PC.

Only other thing I'd try at this point is set the mobo bios and 970 settings to default (if you haven't already)

Solution