NVidia GPU Not Recognized in Device Manager

Starboard_Bound

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
I have an MSI GT70 running Windows 7 that I just upgraded with a 980M GPU. However device manager doesn't recognize the device except as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" and doesn't let me default to my Intel graphics chipset. My screen is like it's in 256 color mode but blurry and very hard to look at. I have no installed NVidia drivers because the NVidia installer doesn't recognize I have an NVidia GPU.

I'm at wit's end here and, frankly, into this for a lot of money. Any help with this issue would really be appreciated.

Solution
So card was replaced because it was bad, not just for a speed boost. Take a look at this post if you did not read it already http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-official-msi-gt60-70-970m-980m-upgrade-thread.765058/ some info about modifying your model for the 980m. Since you got it used, it could very well just be a bad card to begin with.

Starboard_Bound

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

I did update the BIOS. The old card worked until it died and became non-functional. Everything I've researched indicates the MSI GT70 is upgradable to a 980M with a BIOS update. The card was used but since I bought it on Ebay with Paypal I think I may try to get my money back. At this point I'm really at a loss and considering contacting MSI to see if I can get a fix from them, though I wish I didn't have to spend more money.

So card was replaced because it was bad, not just for a speed boost. Take a look at this post if you did not read it already http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-official-msi-gt60-70-970m-980m-upgrade-thread.765058/ some info about modifying your model for the 980m. Since you got it used, it could very well just be a bad card to begin with.

Solution

Starboard_Bound

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

OK, so if I'm reading this correctly I need to dremel out a spot on the heat sink to better work with the 980M, then download modified drivers in order to install the card?

According to that post, which has a big disclaimer "warning, dangerous!", those are the steps. I've never tried to modify a laptop that way, nor would I really suggest anyone do that. You are probably better off just buying the same card that your system had and have a known working system rather that start to mess with it and end up with a pile of parts. Usually things end up badly. I was in a post a bit ago where someone tried to move video cards between two almost identical systems, in the end neither laptop booted, even when he moved the original cards back into them. You can take that lesson or try what is in the post I linked.