NVIDIA GPU on an AMD Chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

code22

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Hello! This might sound stupid (or not, I'm really not sure) but I'd just like to ask if it is okay to buy a motherboard with an AMD chipset and use a NVIDIA graphics card? In my case, the motherboard would be "ASROCK 880GM-LE" and the graphics card is "GTX 460 768MB". The reason I'm asking is I was originally planning to buy an ATI 5770 card until I saw the prices drop on the GTX 460. So, is this fine or is it a joke? :D Btw, I'm not planning to use SLI just yet. Thanks!

Additional question: Can anyone tell me why Palit GTX 460 768MB was discontinued? Thanks again!

Solution
Like what?

I know what your thinking. AMD and Nvidia compete for GPUs, so perhaps you plug one into the others chipset and something bad/lower performance happens. While this is rumored every now and then, I've never seen anything that shows it to be the case. They may all compete, but they all have to follow the standards. Which means you can plug anything into the slot and it should work. There would be legal hell to pay if they followed the PCIe specs but limited performance some how if X was plug in.

4745454b

Titan
Like what?

I know what your thinking. AMD and Nvidia compete for GPUs, so perhaps you plug one into the others chipset and something bad/lower performance happens. While this is rumored every now and then, I've never seen anything that shows it to be the case. They may all compete, but they all have to follow the standards. Which means you can plug anything into the slot and it should work. There would be legal hell to pay if they followed the PCIe specs but limited performance some how if X was plug in.

Solution
The chipset on the board only matters if you plan on running Crossfire or SLI. That aside it makes absolutely no difference at all if you put an nVidia GPU onto a board with an AMD chipset or an AMD GPU on a board with an nVidia chipset. The only thing that matters is you buy a card that fits the slot on your board.

code22

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for clarifying things. I know that manufacturers should comply with the standards but I just thought that other SLI or CF, there would also be other things to be considered when choosing.

I would say that it should be considered important, as the chipset on this motherboard does NOT support SLI, it will only support Crossfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.