News Nvidia GPU-Powered AI Improves the Design of Its Newest GPUs

No no no please don't do that. The last thing we need now is SkyNet.
And AI like this has been used for over 20 years in various things. My first encounter with such was a presentation on Blondie24, which was a checkers neural net AI that managed to get within the top 1% of players on Yahoo Games. And supposedly it did very well against the best checkers AI at the time. NASA also used AI at one point to have it design an optimized antenna.

Also if anything else, if there's one thing the military has yet to do: it's give robots the actual trigger. I mean sure, AI may be used in the information dissemination process, but an actual human still has to pull the trigger.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
Also if anything else, if there's one thing the military has yet to do: it's give robots the actual trigger. I mean sure, AI may be used in the information dissemination process, but an actual human still has to pull the trigger.
Oh, AI have had trigger authority for decades. CIWS when armed will engage and fire automatically, but there are also cruise missiles. Whilst those are given engagement areas and sometimes routes/waypoints, once in those areas target identification, classification, prioritisation and engagement are autonomous. The sole difference between a cruise missile operating in this manner and a "killer drone" is there is a more than 0% change to get your drone back again. 'Killer suicide drones' in that sense have been used in anger for decades. The recent sinking of the Moskva with Luch's Neptun is an example: the Neptun will be given a search area within which to find targets (and possibly waypoints to follow beforehand if local air defence is known), but the decision to engage or abort is taken on-board the missile. If there are no targets detected (either due to ECM, or just due to there being nothing there) that's performed without a human in the loop. Likewise, if there are multiple targets (e.g. civilian vessels and a warship) the missile will be performing identification and discrimination without a human in the loop. The venerable Harpoon is rather dumber in this regard, as it's area discrimination is limited to "first thing it sees", but almost any other AShM is more capable.

Last edited:
Oh, AI have had trigger authority for decades. CIWS when armed will engage and fire automatically, but there are also cruise missiles. Whilst those are given engagement areas and sometimes routes/waypoints, once in those areas target identification, classification, prioritisation and engagement are autonomous. The sole difference between a cruise missile operating in this manner and a "killer drone" is there is a more than 0% change to get your drone back again. 'Killer suicide drones' in that sense have been used in anger for decades. The recent sinking of the Moskva with Luch's Neptun is an example: the Neptun will be given a search area within which to find targets (and possibly waypoints to follow beforehand if local air defence is known), but the decision to engage or abort is taken on-board the missile. If there are no targets detected (either due to ECM, or just due to there being nothing there) that's performed without a human in the loop. Likewise, if there are multiple targets (e.g. civilian vessels and a warship) the missile will be performing identification and discrimination without a human in the loop. The venerable Harpoon is rather dumber in this regard, as it's area discrimination is limited to "first thing it sees", but almost any other AShM is more capable.
If I wanted to get really technical, someone still has to activate the system. The system doesn't just suddenly activate on its own. Nor is the system powered by AI in the sense that it's using neural network based software, at least as far as I'm aware of.

The trigger need not necessarily mean setting off the actual munition.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
If I wanted to get really technical, someone still has to activate the system. The system doesn't just suddenly activate on its own. Nor is the system powered by AI in the sense that it's using neural network based software, at least as far as I'm aware of.

The trigger need not necessarily mean setting off the actual munition.
"Real AI" is a continuous moving target based mostly on what is in common usage and what is new and trendy. "Fuzzy logic" was AI decades ago, but then became not AI because Learning Classifier Systems were the hot new AI thing and Fuzzy Logic was no longer AI but now merely flowcharts with wide tolerances (can't go saying your washing machine used AI with a straight face, so clearly it couldn't be AI anymore). Now, 'Deep Learning' (SLNNs run massively parallel for training because compute is cheap now) is AI, and Learning Classifier Systems are not AI and are merely common-or-garden recursive algorithms. 'Deep Learning' is becoming pretty ubiquitous, so we're due for the next round of a new architecture being 'real' AI, and Deep Learning being relegated to just that boring old non-AI stuff everyone's phones do.