Question Nvidia GPU sometimes doesn't start on boot, causing multiple issues ?

Mar 4, 2021
I'm having an issue with Nvidia's drivers/software that has followed me through clean pc wipes and entirely new hardware. Issue randomly happens, unable to repeat. It's fixed by a restart but I would like to know why.

Issues caused:
  • Second monitor (HDMI cable) doesn't turn on and doesn't recognise any output
  • Primary monitor locked to 60hz. Normally 144hz.
  • Unable to access Nvidia's graphic control panel
  • RTX voice breaks with error message "Unable to start microphone denoising"
  • Nvidia Geforce experience doesn't open
  • Shadowplay overlay for game recording doesn't open
  • MSI Afterburner doesn't recognise my GPU and reports irregular idle temps which aren't normally like that.
Specs:
GTX 1660 Super (No OC)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 " 4.2Ghz
MSI B450 TOMOHAWK MAX
Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 8x2GB @ 3200hz
SATA HDD 1TB & NVME SSD 500GB
60hz monitor with HDMI cable and 144hz monitor with DP cable.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The problem, to me seems two fold. You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. You also didn't state which driver versions you've used for your GPU.

You could check and see which OS version you're on and the BIOS version for your motherboard. Following that, make sure both are up to date. Following that use DDY to uninstall your GPU drivers, download the latest from Nvidia's support site and then manually install said drivers. When installing, install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Mar 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The problem, to me seems two fold. You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. You also didn't state which driver versions you've used for your GPU.

You could check and see which OS version you're on and the BIOS version for your motherboard. Following that, make sure both are up to date. Following that use DDY to uninstall your GPU drivers, download the latest from Nvidia's support site and then manually install said drivers. When installing, install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Corsair CX450M. About a year old
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.30, 17/09/2019 - From msinfo32
Windows 10 OS Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 - Haven't updated to 20H2, waiting till 6 month mark.
I'll reinstall my drivers and see if anything is different but the issue happens randomly making it hard to tell what works and what doesn't.
Thanks