Nvidia Graphic Card Issue - Screen goes blank while the computer itself runs

SentientSpambot

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Recently, my screen's started going blank, as in 'no signal detected' sort of message with the PC itself still running and the sound/music still playing and yet when I switch to using my onboard graphics unit the issue does not seem to show itself. It happens while I've been playing games, browsing, and such. When I switch off the PC when it the screen goes blank, and start it back on the same 'no signal detected' state appears on the screen, but if I switch to the onboard unit, the display appears. If I leave it alone for a while or reseat it or reboot the PC with the monitor's cable attached to the GPU's connector it works again, but then after a while the screen goes blank again.

At first I suspected an issue with overheating of the graphics card but that doesn't seem to be the case since it happens even when I don't seem to be doing anything particularly throttling on the card and it isn't overclocked but as of yet but I can't be sure, or an issue with the drivers, although I haven't updated or changed anything.

I can tell it might not be an issue with the PC or the monitor since they fare well with the onboard graphics unit in use. The card itself is an old one, the Nvidia 7300 LE. So it might just be that it's dying? Any suggestions or recommendations as to what the issue might be would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Edit - Right now I'm using the onboard graphics unit and the computer can't seem to detect the Nvidia card. I've uninstalled the driver for it and tried reinstalling the latest available driver for *that* card but it says the installation process cannot detect any Nvidia hardware on the machine. I'm running a Windows7 - 32 bit.

Edit - I just rebooted my computer with the monitor connected to the onboard display unit's port and no display showed, but when I removed my graphic card entirely and rebooted the onboard unit display showed up.

SentientSpambot

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

No, I don't have any other cables, and even if I did, if it was an issue with the cable, shouldn't it show with my onboard graphics unit as well? Which I'm using right now.

As for my power supply the label here says:
AONE Micro 4000V
Total output 400W | Intel v 1.3

And just now I'd just rebooted my computer with the monitor connected to the onboard display unit's port and no display showed, but when I removed my graphic card entirely and rebooted the onboard unit display showed up.

goku1234567890

Distinguished
I was asking for the spare cable because the slot which you are using in the graphic card might have gone bad. See when you connect the graphic card the BIOS change settings for first initial display to graphic card or "PEG" so that is why when you removed the graphic card the BIOS changes settings to the on-board graphics.

SentientSpambot

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

Ah, well I don't have a cable.
Should I buy one for troubleshooting's sake or?

And the issue is that sometimes the card works but then dies with the screen blank after a while. And now it doesn't seem to want to work at all. And yeah, I know that about the BIOS but what's puzzling is that before I used the onboard graphics unit even with the graphics card connected and no such issue came up, as in I didn't have to remove it to get the onboard unit to work.

Think it might be an issue with the BIOS?

goku1234567890

Distinguished
Can you try one thing. Take you card to your neighbor home or some friend home try it their. That is a pretty basic card so that may be able to run it see if that give's you a problem. Take your cable with you if it is the motherboard problem the graphic card will not show any sign of errors.

SentientSpambot

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

Aye, let me see if I can try that later, it's pretty late right now so I can't really go anywhere. But I'll keep that in mind.

Question though, if it is a motherboard issue, wouldn't the onboard graphics unit be going weird too? Oh, and do you think I should try the solution specified here?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2008096/graphics-card-displays-blank-screen-computer-build.html#12777105

The problem is sort of similar wouldn't you think?

SentientSpambot

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

You have a point there, yeah.

So does that mean it detects the graphics card atleast? It doesn't seem to be right now and I had to take it out to get the onboard one running so I'm not sure.

goku1234567890

Distinguished
Yup it detects the graphic card but it is failing to provide power to it thus resulting in no display. The motherboard may have been confused whether to use pci-e card or use on-board so it shows displays from neither of those, but you remove the pci card and mobo problem is sloved.

SentientSpambot

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah, that makes sense. But the issue of delivering the power, that might be it I guess I'll find it if I check it somewhere else. Because the graphic card did work today and yesterday, works for a couple hours and then just dies, so for those few hours somehow power is delivered.

And now it didn't work at all. I should probably plug it back in and see what happens. Maybe try reinstalling the drivers.

Latest posts