Nvidia Graphic card not working with laptop screen but works well with monitor (benchmarks included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2018
I own a dell 7567 laptop with a gtx 1050ti, every single time i use my laptop for gaming on the laptop itself i get mediocre performance, but when i connect it to my monitor suddenly my graphics card works as its supposed to work. i will paste the url for benchmarks run when connected to laptop screen and other with monitor.
without external monitor: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13888410
with external monitor: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13888345
please help me fix this. Thank you!!!
i have updated the drivers, and as a scenario, if i am gaming on laptop screen getting 30fps, i dont even have the restart the game, once i connect it to monitor, it automatically starts working right, and i start getting higher fps.

You didn't mention the specs for the display on the laptop vs the specs of the external monitor. Just curious what they are.

Try this...

A. Uninstall, and then reinstall, the latest graphics card driver.
B. Make sure that your Nvidia graphics card is set as the default graphics card.

Here's the steps on how to set it to default.

1. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel".
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.
4. Now select "preferred graphics processor" in the drop down list. (You can see what the automatic option is listed as global setting) If you want to use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance Nvidia processor.

Once it is running on the right one, test the system again and see if the problem persists.

Dec 27, 2018

I have tried setting the graphics setting in global settings once for all programs and also for individual game to nvidia graphics. Still the same issue. I have run few benchmarking software to check cpu and GPU usage, when ever I run on laptop display the cpu is always near hundred percent, and GPU is around 30 or 40 percent, only few games it goes to 60 or 70 percent. So both the cpu and GPU works but only when I connect it to external display source will it go to the full potential of the graphics card. The laptop display is default 60hz panel 1080p and monitor which I have is also 1080p 60hz ips panel, but it does not matter what display it is as any display which is connected through the hdmi source in laptop helps the graphics work good.

Dec 27, 2018

Yup. Once i tried by updating drivers from my laptop without reinstalling all software and once I tried removing all previous nvidia software and then reinstalling it from nvidia site. Still no luck.

Dec 27, 2018

Yup
Absolutely certain, as if it does switch to integrated graphics then the nvidia graphics should not be working at all right. Not only that but different games use different percentages on the graphics card but not to its maximum potential when on laptop screen, but on a external display, it works like its supposed to.

I am going to assume here that it is the original display that is on the laptop, and not a replacement. The same goes for the cable connecting the display.

If the above and the prior things we have discussed are correct, there is no logical reason for the difference. You have checked the settings.

Anyone else have a suggestion on this?

Dec 27, 2018

Yup everything is stock. This is a problem I had for years. I dont play a lot of different games rather I used to play just one game which I liked the most. When I just got the laptop the games were working really well and I loved that, few months later the performance reduced drastically, I just thought it might be because of the game optimization and dint bother until I connected to an external display then realized that's not the problem. Then I reinstalled nvidia drivers, updated them, even reset my whole laptop to factory setting, still the same problem of the graphics not working as good and I had given up. Only now I am really trying to fix the problem again. I had never thought of running online benchmarks for testing graphics performance but since I tried using online benchmarks software, I am guessing whether any of the nvidia settings change when I connected to external display or is it that there is a hardware issue where the graphics card under clocks when using laptop screen. I need to find what componentes are affected or changes happen when I connect it to external display, once I know that then I can recreate the settings while just in laptop screen as using the benchmarking software and getting 2 different results means that selecting different GPU in the nvidia settings makes no difference as those as program dependent and benchmarking runs on GPU regardless of nvidia setting. Is there anything you need such as screen shots of some settings or something. And I am soo glad and thank you for your help.

Dec 27, 2018

Thanks a lot for trying. I haven't tried to contact the manufacturer as I dint bother at first and now its already been 2 years or more hence wayy over the warranty hence I think they will be useless in this scenario. I am gono keep trying different settings and check with trial and error method until it's fixed if not I will just move to asus 2070 laptop in fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS