Nvidia GRID Reaches 40th Title With 'Saints Row IV', 'Alan Wake', 'Metro: Last Light Redux'

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might fly in the mainstream media, but for people like me, cloud gaming is not usefull at all.
lag, constant internet connection, small gaming screen, limited to pad only, games cant be moded...

anubis44

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I don't know why on earth they even bother with this junk. The input lag must be horrendous. I can feel it if my computer is even running some other task in the background when I'm playing a game, never mind the ludicrous lag created by wireless ethernet. And that's in a game like COH2, where the game performs many of the tasks on the local computer. This is a hopelessly ill-conceived idea. You can play chess or tic-tac-toe or checkers on a wireless connection, but not an action-oriented game.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Toms already tested this streaming to shield (even without grid which should be better than streaming from at home PC to some other state or country), and it was pretty darn good for certain types of titles. Sure I wouldn't play a mutliplayer shooter yet (maybe ever), but strategy/rpg etc would be good fits. Skyrim etc worked well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-shield-remote-gamestream-review,26476.html
I'm not saying good for everything, but a great fit for some stuff for sure. It's getting better, and streaming from their own servers (no lag from your home) while running around etc is surely better. They remove a lot of variability when they own all the hardware you're streaming from. We are already far beyond chess/checkers and that was before grid...LOL. By the way, it feeds other stuff too, with 1000+ companies now testing it. The learning made on gaming will be used for virtual gpus/apps (with vmware etc) in enterprise once we work it all out for them. So excellent idea, not stupid. Think bigger.

From the article above as an example:
"In our "same city" scenario, which we imagine to be the most popular one for gamers on the go, the host desktop was on a Rogers Cable connection in downtown Toronto, as was the Shield. Geographically, the two were separated by only 4 kilometers. The host computer was on a mid-tier internet plan that demonstrated a 3.26 Mb/s on Speedtest.net. Mind you, this is below Nvidia's recommended 5 Mb/s upstream. A ping test between the Shield's internet connection and the host PC yielded an average of 31 milliseconds."

Titan totally playable and UNDER Nvidia's requirements...See the point?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Now imagine far better internet say 5-10yrs from now included in that whole scenario. If FCC stuff goes through shortly, municipalities will force more companies like Verizon (already selling stuff to pay to upgrade their network) to upgrade or face huge local competition FINALLY. Not saying this won't end up bad, just that it at least forces upgrades they should have been doing for years now. The mere mention of google coming to austin with Gigabit connections caused a response from AT&T in ONE WEEK! The municipalities threat will be like google saying "tomorrow we're announcing service everywhere", and Cox, Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner etc will all be forced to act like Verizon just did, and AT&T in Austin or die.

The bad part happens if ISP's don't respond properly and municipalities own everything in the end and run wild on us with pricing just like we have now. It's a slippery slope but we kind of have no choice as they are blocking the crap out of google etc (from using poles etc) as much as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.