NVidia GT 630M shuts down ASUS K55VM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I've been having a DELL Inspiron 1525 for the past 4 years and for the past few months it keeps shutting down automatically when I work on photoshop etc. I went ahead and bought the ASUS K55VM-SX086D (See the end of the post to the specs) yesterday to both replace the old DELL and also to resume my hiatus from gaming. I wanted to start off with Max Payne 3.

Yesterday I got my new laptop. I was so eager to play Max Payne 3 in my new laptop. After torturing hours of installing the OS and the game, I finally played Max Payne 3 and after a few minutes, the computer just shut down automatically. You can imagine how depressing this could be. I paid so much money and waited so long just to have the same issue, only that this happened while playing a much more graphics intensive application. My doubt is that the two laptops have different issues (the DELL was shutting down like that even after getting it cleaned in the inside and changing the internal cooling pad). Probably overheating issues known in that model. But I know that others who have bought the ASUS K55VM are playing games such as Crysis 2 etc. without any issue.

I don't know what the problem with my laptop is. My guess is that it is hardware related but could it be possible that my installation of Win 7 that I used for both the DELL and ASUS could have some kind of problem. I'm working on getting a different Win 7 installation DVD to see if a fresh installation on the ASUS could solve the issue.

Another possibility is that it could be related to the driver of the NVidia. There was a popup from the NVidia application on my new laptop that said that the new drivers are available for my chipset. But I've seen posts on the internet saying that NVidia's new drivers are known to slow the fans and fry the cards. So, I'm not entirely sure if I should try installing the new drivers and seeing if the auto shutdown ceases.

Kindly help me solve this issue! I don't know what to do now and am kind sad since this is happening to my BRAND NEW laptop!

Help!

ASUS K55VM-SX086D Specs:-

Processor

Processor Core i7 (3rd Generation)
Variant 3610QM
Chipset Intel HM76 Express
Brand Intel
Clock Speed 2.3 GHz
Cache 6 MB (L3 Cache)

Memory

Expandable Memory Up to 8 GB
Memory Slots 2 (Unused slots 0)
System Memory 8 GB DDR3
Storage
Hardware Interface SATA
RPM 5400
HDD Capacity 1 TB
Optical Disk Drive
Read/Write Speed 8x
Optical Drive Super Multi Dual Layer DVD RW Drive
Platform
Architecture 64-bit

Display

Screen Size 15.6 Inch
Resolution 1366 x 768 Pixel
Screen Type Widescreen BrightView LED-backlit Display

Graphics

Dedicated Graphics Memory Type DDR3
Dedicated Graphics Memory Capacity 2 GB
Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

kraken1077

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hi there,

I 've also bought the same laptop recently.It has worked perfectly for me for crysis 1,fifa 12(60 fps constant),bf3 and cod black ops in both medium and high settings.

Maybe, It's your drivers try updating Nvidia drivers.My laptop's temp goes pretty high while gaming.Here my max temps approx

GPU-90 DEGREES
CPU-85 DEGREES

Never goes higher.
The new chips are capable of working at high temps
the gpu max is around 120 and cpu 105 degrees respectively.

Check your Bios settings, to see if a safety feature that shutsdown the laptop to prevent damage beyond a certain tamp is activated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxfiuOLen9Y
check what is written under that link.

Hope you found my reply useful. :)

G

I didn't change anything in the BIOS except the boot sequence while installing Win 7. All the settings are that of factory settings. I'm sure your and my laptop have the same BIOS settings and stuff. It's either some hardware related issue OR it has something to do with the only other factor, which is my Win 7 installation. Although I was very skeptical about the issue being the Win 7, I wish and hope that it is only the OS because otherwise I might have to send it to the service center and claim warranty, which could or could not get resolved there and has a lot of other uncertainties. Also I'm sure there couldn't be a hardware failure in a brand new laptop and if it IS hardware failure this would be a really rare case. So I'm going to hope for the best and try to see if it is just the Win 7. Let's see.

sandy91

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I too have the same laptop and am experiencing similiar shutdown issue. I had barely played for 20 mins at max settings of STALKER that the laptop shutdown without warning. Maybe I need to buy a cooling pad. :(
Any ideas about a good cooling pad or other workarounds? Having a powerful laptop and not being able to use it because of heat is sad!

ranvir

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
i also have the same problem that my K55vm shuts down after 10 or 20 min of gameplay.also i downloaded graphics drivers for my nvidia GT630m from nvidia's website but it displays that no compatible hardware found. help me anyone.

G

It is not a matter of a lack of cooling pad. I have a good cooling pad and it still happens.

Sandy91 and ranvir, it looks like this is a more common issue than I thought it would be. Where do you live and where did you get the laptop from?

sandy91

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

I'm from India. I bought it a local retailer here. I did notice that there is an update available for the nvidia drivers. I'll try installing that when I get access to a faster net connection. Are your drivers upto date?

G

Dude I'm from India as well. Chennai, to be more specific. I got my laptop from an ASUS authorized retailer in Ritchie Street.

I think there's a newer driver for the NVidia chipset than the one that I have right now. Let me know how it goes after you install it. I think you'll get it here - http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/44971/nvidiaupdate# (It's a whopping 204MB!)

I think it is possible that the local retailers in India are getting laptops that are defective or something. It would be really sad if this is true. I don't want my brand new laptop to be a defective one.

BTW, where in India are you and what's the name of your retailer?

kraken1077

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

I bought mine from Flipkart.I 'm not sure Richtie street is the best place to buy(I 'm a chennite).Frankly speaking the only thing people mostly buy there are cheap movies.

If it is an authorized dealer report the problem.I have one year onsite warranty from flipkart --manufacturer warranty.

I 've played bf3 on High and crysis on med with decent framerates for extended periods of time.I finished cod black ops 3~5 hours straight.

G

Actually I was going to buy it from Flipkart as well. But before I did I wanted to do some research because I wanted to get the extended warranty for 3 years period as well. I called up Flipkart and they told me that I have to consult ASUS directly to get the extended warranty. When I approached the local ASUS service center they told me that apparently they have beef with Flipkart since they're ruining the business for the authentic ASUS dealers. So apparently the units sold through Flipkart get neither the extended warranty nor the actual service that one should be able to avail through that 1 year onsite warranty. This is some complicated ***. So I asked them the price of the K55VM and they told me that it was 54k. That's 570 bucks less than what Flipkart is selling it. I got the laptop box AND a ASUS laptop backpack, not sure if you get that through Flipkart as well. Anyway, the box came in a sealed package and had everything in the way it should be. I think this is some hardware issue that is a result of manufacture defect.

Anyway I did some homework today and called up the ASUS dealer who sold me the unit and he said I should try reinstalling the OS and if it still has the issue, I can get it replaced with another unit through their DOA scheme (Dead-On-Arrival) as long as it is returned within 7 days after the purchase of the unit. I'm going to reinstall the OS and I'm sure it's not going to work. So tomorrow I'll be returning the unit and prove that it has issues and get the replacement unit. I hope THAT one doesn't have issues!

And to add, I have to say that your perception of Ritchie street is kinda misleading because it's a mixed bag. There are some real gems in Ritchie street as well as some shops that have rip off stuff. A lot of the shops have gadgets in sealed packages that come at really discounted prices that come so because they are from the gray market and come without the bill or warranty. But there are also lot of authorized dealers there. For instance, I got my Seagate GoFlex 1TB drive for 5k while the same unit is now selling for 7k. So it's all about whether you end up purchasing at the right place or not.

kraken1077

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
My adapter went broke while I charged my laptop in a train.I had it replaced within the week (flipkart -30 days replacement offer) Asus personnel came checked and authorized the replacement.

About the hard disks the prices have gone up because of earthquakes that have wrecked factories in south asia aka seagate etc.
Did your system come loaded with WIN 7?

Get it replaced because for it to go off under 20mins because of heating is ludicrous.There must be a manufacturing flaw.The country of production may vary from your system and mine.Mine's made in China.
Check that.After reloading WIN 7 if the problem persists get it replaced.

Today's cpu and gpu are meant to withstand high temperatures.Beyond which they throttle.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/70675-35-geforce-540m-temperatures-gaming

GOOd luck :D

kraken1077

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Hey
download RealTeMP 3.7 and Prime95 .Run a 10 minute test find out if your cpu is reaching it's throttle temperature.

MY test --http://s1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh638/pegasus1994/?action=view&current=stresstest.png

G

I went to the ASUS service center yesterday and gave my laptop and even they were pretty surprised at how hot it got. They took it in for a DOA replacement. I'll hopefully be getting the replacement laptop tomorrow. I hope that the new one isn't going to be flawed! Seriously!

And thanks for letting me know the country of manufacturing. It helps to know because mine is different from China. Mine's made in Singapore. I guess all of the units sold through Flipkart are made in China and that is why they don't have problems. Singapore just lost brownie points in my book.

I seriously hope my replacement isn't going to die on me. I'll keep you guys posted here.

BTW, can you tell me which number you dialed to get the ASUS guys to your home? And where in Chennai do you live? Do you know where the ASUS guys came from? (i.e. which area?)

Also I confirmed from the ASUS guys that I met at Rashi Peripherals (in Club Road, Egmore) yesterday that they don't offer service to laptops that came at a discounted prices. Sounds lame to me but that's what they told me.

kraken1077

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

No I do not know, I called flipkart they registered a complaint with ASUS then they came.Plus you would require on site warranty to make that happen.

G

Can you tell me what sort of a seal your box came with? Mine came with a red coloured tape that had the words "Do not accept if seal is broken Do not accept if seal is broken Do not accept if seal is broken..." written all over it. I was expecting a 3D holographic seal. It was quite disappointing to see because anyone could've used that laptop and put that red seal tape.

kraken1077

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Now that you mention it, that is the exact seal I had.That is pretty standard nothing to worry about although it was packed very well by Flipkart before delivery was made.

G

Do you have the same problem Alexm41? If yes, where did you purchase it from and which country manufactured it?

yogi9115

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I bought my K55VM from Supreme Computers in Ritchie street (Chennai).. They are authroised suppliers for companies like L&T so i dont think the problem is with the suppliers..

My GPU overheats while playing Arkham city and the laptop shuts down every 45 mins of playing approximately.. I think its a manufacturing defect in the batch that has been produced and shipped to India..

Does ayone know where in Chennai is an ASUS service centre?? Many thanks!

G

Yogi, Can you confirm the country of manufacture of your unit? Is it Singapore or China? It will be on a white label on the brown cardboard box that the laptop came in.

Here's a list of ASUS centers in Tamilnadu - http://support.asus.com/ServiceCenter/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&r=1&c=11&a=284&p=3

yogi9115

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

The white label with the model number and specifications reads Made in China..
Another smaller sticker near the bottom right reads Mfg by Asustek followed by a Singapore address..

A little confusing but it says "Made" in China so i'm gonna go with that..

Also, i used the MSI Afterburner software to keep track of the GPU temperatures and the highest logged temperature seems to be around 87 degrees C which is well below the threshold for his GPU.. Could it be that its the processor heating up too much?

G

Yogi, that's exactly the same kind of unit that I got. I actually just noticed that it reads Made in China on the specs label and mfg in Singapore in the other label. This is silly but maybe that specs label alone was "made in China"? :p

I don't know which component it is that is heating up so fast but do you notice that the ventilator is letting out air that is too hot? That's what happened to me. The guys at the service center took it in for a DOA replacement just because of that. They usually have a DOA policy of replacing the laptop if a problem is reported within 7 days of the purchase. How many days ago did you purchase your laptop Yogi?

First, tell Supreme computers that you're having this problem and they'll redirect you to their respective service center. Keep us updated on what is going on with the outcome of the service.

Yogi, check your PM for my gtalk address so that we can keep in touch about this problem.

G

Kraken, please confirm this little thing - I just found out that there are two labels on the box with one claiming that it's "Made in China" and another smaller one that says it's manufactured in Singapore.

Is this the same with your unit also?

kraken1077

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Yeah you are right. Did you get a replacement for your laptop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.