[SOLVED] nvidia gt 640 3gb ddr3

akuma_devs

Commendable
Jun 24, 2021
hello guys I have intel i5 2400 processor,8Gb ram ddr3 the problem I am facing is that I recently bought Nvidia GeForce gt 640 3Gb ddr3 at first it keeps crashing when I launch any game..(Roblox,call of duty 2,sub Nautica,etc) at that time I had 275wat PSU i thought it was a problem with it I bought new one 500wat 80+certificat and problem stays still

Solution
meh I think u kinda didn't understand me tho I have 2x 4gb ram also its not idle its in the load mode
as I already stated I replaced thermal paste and thought its psu problem but its not

Next time please use a few punctuation maks like comma (,) and/or period (.) it really helps to organize what you write, and make it easy for others to understand.

- Temps are ok then. And for the record I did read that you replaced the thermal paste, but I didn't knew back then if those were idle or load temps.

- Ok, so you got 2x4GB of DDR3 RAM, Have you tried what I wrote and run games with only 1 stik of RAM at the time (to check both stick are fine)?

- Are you using the lastest ndivia driver from nvidia website (sorry I have to make...
Welcome to the forum.

Please list every component you have in your system with brand and model. Include CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU, HDD, SSD, Cooler (if its not stock), what windows version are you runing (you can check this by pressing Win + R and typing "winver" + Enter on the "run" windows).

Also it will be important to know the working temps of both CPU and GPU at idle and when you launch the game (load). There are many ways to do this, for example you could use Hardware Info portable - and run "Sensors only options" (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/).

And finally, Where did you got that card from?, Does it have any kind of return policy in case is not working?

akuma_devs

Commendable
Jun 24, 2021
CPU--Intel i5 2400 temp around 60℃
GPU-Nvidia gt 640 3Gb DDR 3---around 71℃
motherboard dell 0HY9JY
ram---8Gb ddr3 4GB SK Hynix other 4 no name just M
PSU--MQ mission q 500w
HDD--250Gb
cooler stock
windows 10
notes
thermal paste replaced PSU is brand new before mission q it was 275w PSU
I have pc on a 12-month warranty also have a return policy for GPU
before adding GPU pc was working normally with an integrated GPU that had 35 Mb
everything is bought from pc shop used except PSU

CPU--Intel i5 2400 temp around 60℃
GPU-Nvidia gt 640 3Gb DDR 3---around 71℃
motherboard dell 0HY9JY
ram---8Gb ddr3 4GB SK Hynix other 4 no name just M
PSU--MQ mission q 500w
HDD--250Gb
cooler stock
windows 10
notes
thermal paste replaced PSU is brand new before mission q it was 275w PSU
I have pc on a 12-month warranty also have a return policy for GPU
before adding GPU pc was working normally with an integrated GPU that had 35 Mb
everything is bought from pc shop used except PSU

Not sure whats your room temperature, but if 60°C and 71°C are the idle temps (this mean the PC doing nothing, just sitting in Windows desktop not touching the mouse) then I will said those are runing really hot. the GT 640 is a really old GPU. Then again Im not sure if those are idle temps.

I do not know that PSU brand, never heard of it, its probably a budget brand, not like good Seasonic, Corsair or the likes.

One thing you can try which is kinda easy, turn off the PC and unplug it from the wall socket and then remove the 4GB "no name" RAM. After that try playing games with only the 8GB stick. You coudl try the other way around too.

Reactions: spentshells

akuma_devs

Commendable
Jun 24, 2021
Not sure whats your room temperature, but if 60°C and 71°C are the idle temps (this mean the PC doing nothing, just sitting in Windows desktop not touching the mouse) then I will said those are runing really hot. the GT 640 is a really old GPU. Then again Im not sure if those are idle temps.

I do not know that PSU brand, never heard of it, its probably a budget brand, not like good Seasonic, Corsair or the likes.

One thing you can try which is kinda easy, turn off the PC and unplug it from the wall socket and then remove the 4GB "no name" RAM. After that try playing games with only the 8GB stick. You coudl try the other way around too.
meh I think u kinda didn't understand me tho I have 2x 4gb ram also its not idle its in the load mode
as I already stated I replaced thermal paste and thought its psu problem but its not

akuma_devs

Commendable
Jun 24, 2021

also in idle mode cpu--49℃ and gpu--50℃

Next time please use a few punctuation maks like comma (,) and/or period (.) it really helps to organize what you write, and make it easy for others to understand.

- Temps are ok then. And for the record I did read that you replaced the thermal paste, but I didn't knew back then if those were idle or load temps.

- Ok, so you got 2x4GB of DDR3 RAM, Have you tried what I wrote and run games with only 1 stik of RAM at the time (to check both stick are fine)?

- Are you using the lastest ndivia driver from nvidia website (sorry I have to make this silly question) ?

- I also read that the PSU is brand new, but it does not change the fact its not from a very well known brand, and just because is new, it doesn't mean its working as intended. But before going for the PSU I will still try look at the other parts first.

- Did someone showed you the GPU working in the PC shop?, it wouln't be the first time a GPU works ok in Windows, but it crash as soon as you try to run a game.

Solution

akuma_devs

Commendable
Jun 24, 2021

- Are you using the lastest ndivia driver from nvidia website (sorry I have to make this silly question) ?

- I also read that the PSU is brand new, but it does not change the fact its not from a very well known brand, and just because is new, it doesn't mean its working as intended. But before going for the PSU I will still try look at the other parts first.

- Did someone showed you the GPU working in the PC shop?, it wouln't be the first time a GPU works ok in Windows, but it crash as soon as you try to run a game.
hmh i didn't saw this but when I entered nvidia control panel and found update list it says it came around 2018 soo maybe yeh
next problem is that I cant find rly new updates like I only found for windows 7 but they are outdated

akuma_devs

Commendable
Jun 24, 2021
Some GPUs just don't get too many updates as they get older.

I will give you a link, but you can get there by yourself using a browser (Nvidia gt 640): https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/176523/en-us
already have 391.35 version still results are the same as before when trying to launch cod mw2 on lowest resolution game freezes, trying to launch Roblox game crashes, black screen start for 5 seconds then windows appear again dunno

akuma_devs

Commendable
Jun 24, 2021
DId you both install the Nvidia driver package, and, move your monitor to the output of the GT640 (assuming the GT640 meets the min requirement for whatever game you are playing, as the GT640 was entry level , even11 years ago...
tried newest nvidia drivers still loading that system is incopactibile.also yeah its even above rec for any game I tried.Before this pc I had intel core 2 quake q8400 with 4Gb ram and AMD 6450HD that was
1gb vram with ddr3 even on that pc I runned cod ghosts or cs go on this as I stated when I try to run any even roblox on 1024x768 it still crashes at 5 seconds of opening game.Like I only see player move for 5 seconds then game crashes black screen pops then windows gets back up.Also to mention gpu was tested before buying on games and everything worked fine.

akuma_devs

Commendable
Jun 24, 2021
If it's under warranty, I would really ask for a "new" GPU at the PC shop.
tried the ram trick to remove non branded one still it's the same also it displayed DirectX get the unrecoverable error check the readme for a solution
also when u enter the game like multiple black lines shows across the screen then game instantly crashes.
Probably due to GPU, it's such a waste that I paid money on it tho